Thoughts on this used welder?

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #21  
Well, guys, I have done a lot of reading about the difference between stick welders and flux-core welders, and bottom line: it seems to me like this Ward AC/DC stick welder is a heck of a deal at that price, whereas I don't see much in the way of flux-core welders in the same price range, never mind the same apparent value-for-money. When I search around, it seems like people are asking $100-150 for AC-only stick welders in similar amp ranges. I checked this evening, and the Ward AC/DC I linked to above is still available a week later, so I bet I can get the guy to take a little less than $100 for it. But even if he sticks at $100, it seems like a real steal and I think I will go for it. What do y'all think?

I also thought through the 220-volt issue, and I realized that the concrete pad behind my house would probably be perfect for welding. It's flat if I need to square up anything big; it's enclosed on three sides (leads to a daylight basement) so nobody will be inadvertently exposed to the arc; there's nothing flammable nearby, like there is in my barn/wood shop; and best of all, it is RIGHT by the electric meter and main service panel, so if I one day want to put an outdoor-rated 220 receptacle in, there should be absolutely minimal wiring. Maybe I'll have the electrician put in the generator transfer switch while I'm at it...

I say buy the AC/DC welder, as long as it works, it is a steal at 100. I want more than that for my AC only tombstone. (I don't use it any more after getting my Everlast) Give it a go, and have fun.

James K0UA

/ Thoughts on this used welder?
I say buy the AC/DC welder, as long as it works, it is a steal at 100. I want more than that for my AC only tombstone. (I don't use it any more after getting my Everlast) Give it a go, and have fun.

You want more than that, like, in terms of output? How thick metal are you working with?

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #23  
Well, guys, I have done a lot of reading about the difference between stick welders and flux-core welders, and bottom line: it seems to me like this Ward AC/DC stick welder is a heck of a deal at that price, whereas I don't see much in the way of flux-core welders in the same price range, never mind the same apparent value-for-money. When I search around, it seems like people are asking $100-150 for AC-only stick welders in similar amp ranges. I checked this evening, and the Ward AC/DC I linked to above is still available a week later, so I bet I can get the guy to take a little less than $100 for it. But even if he sticks at $100, it seems like a real steal and I think I will go for it. What do y'all think?

I also thought through the 220-volt issue, and I realized that the concrete pad behind my house would probably be perfect for welding. It's flat if I need to square up anything big; it's enclosed on three sides (leads to a daylight basement) so nobody will be inadvertently exposed to the arc; there's nothing flammable nearby, like there is in my barn/wood shop; and best of all, it is RIGHT by the electric meter and main service panel, so if I one day want to put an outdoor-rated 220 receptacle in, there should be absolutely minimal wiring. Maybe I'll have the electrician put in the generator transfer switch while I'm at it...

I welded with an AC only buzz box welder for about 15 years. You will thank yourself a thousand times over for buying the MW AC/DC welder. DC is so much easier to learn with.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #24  
You want more than that, like, in terms of output? How thick metal are you working with?

I think he means that his AC welder is worth more than $100 to him and it is AC only. So he is saying your find is a great deal.

I think he means that his AC welder is worth more than $100 to him and it is AC only. So he is saying your find is a great deal.

Oh! I see now.

Well, cross my fingers it's still around tomorrow when I get back in town. Double-cross my fingers I can talk him into taking $80 for it :devil:

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #26  

I meant I want more money than $100 for my AC tombstone (it is for sale).. or in other words. the AC/DC machine you are looking at, is a good value, and a more desirable machine, (because of the DC capability) than my AC only machine. After getting my DC machine I had very little interest in welding any more with my AC only machine.. Sure it will weld, and the more experience you have, you can make pretty good looking welds with it. In my opinion a DC welder is a better start for a beginner than an AC only machine. Of course opinions may vary...but that mine.

James K0UA

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #27  
Now you realize that machine is only 140-amps at 20% duty cycle on DC? So this means you're not going to be able to rock & roll with 1/8-inch 7018! 3/32-inch 7018, and 1/8-inch 6010 and 11 yes.
First thing you're gonna want to do when you get that machine home is take some sand paper to the welding lead male lugs that plug into the welder. Maybe take a battery lug wire brush and clean the female ends in the machine too. And I'd pitch that ground clamp! In time you may want to add on to those welding leads, I always use this type of welding lead connector. I have yet to buy these on line, when you add shipping my local welding supplier is always cheaper!

1-WPC Tweco Cable Connector No. 9425-1125 - Buyweld.com

Well, I bought it! Woo hoo! The story he told is that he got it from a buddy of his thinking to learn to weld but never got around to it. Anyway, I asked him if he could lay down a bead for me, just to see it work, and he said he couldn't. He doesn't even have a 220 outlet. But he said if I get it home and it doesn't work, he'll take it back. Only problem is, I don't have a mask or electrodes yet. So... I dunno... can I just, like, tap the two clamps together like jumper cables and see if there's a spark? :shocked: Eh. I'll probably go get the other supplies this weekend.

Question: the welder has a 3-prong 50 amp plug. My generator has a 4-prong twist-lock plug. Adapters are pretty dear, but it looks like the welder's plug would come right off with some screws. Can I just buy a 4-prong twist-lock plug and put it on the end of the cable (keeping the 3-prong for when I eventually get 240 service, of course).