Thoughts on this used welder?

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #31  
I've done that a few times, but not on purpose!:laughing:

Agreed... refrain from doing that at all costs:shocked:.. hey the 50 dollar auto dimming mask from Northern tool is not bad for what it is.. I have one. Granted you can get a non-auto dimming mask for less. BUT.. you will weld SOOO much better and have SO much less frustration with an auto-dimming mask.. as a beginner.

it is much easier to get the idea of striking an arc, if you can actually see...A lot of real pro's I think still weld with fixed glass hoods, but I ain't no pro.. and neither are you. yet..

Wel-Bilt Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet | Welding Helmets| Northern Tool + Equipment

Good luck.
james K0UA

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #32  
Well I'm not a pro either, and I was against the auto hoods for years. Main reason was the cost of the clear cover lenses, and the few I had tried I didn't like the head gear. But I bought a fixed shade auto lens that fits my hood, I couldn't be happier! Good thing I'm not a pro huh?;)

Attachments

• PWingnut!.JPG
    PWingnut!.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 140
   / Thoughts on this used welder? #33  
Question: the welder has a 3-prong 50 amp plug. My generator has a 4-prong twist-lock plug. Adapters are pretty dear, but it looks like the welder's plug would come right off with some screws. Can I just buy a 4-prong twist-lock plug and put it on the end of the cable (keeping the 3-prong for when I eventually get 240 service, of course).

This will work just make sure you trace out which is the ground and which is the neutral. Your welder doesn't use a neutral.

/ Thoughts on this used welder?
Thanks everybody for your assistance on this. I'd love to post y'all some pictures of my first crappy beads (because I know TBN's policy on photos) but the welder has cleaned out the last of my spending money for a bit. Before I can weld, I'm gonna have to get a 240 supply that can actually plug into the thing, and I'm gonna have to pick up a helmet and other various accessories. It looks like the "swap out the plug" plan isn't going to work. I found a twist-lock connector, but it only takes up to 8 AWG and the welder, if memory serves, is 5 AGW, so I think I would have to actually build a pigtail adapter, which would run around $50. So pictures and further progress will have to wait, but again, thanks so much for the assistance.

Just got an estimate from a local electrician of about $150-175 to put a 240 receptacle in next to my meter. It's just a ballpark, as I didn't want him to come out for a proper quote before I was ready to pull the trigger, but at that price, I don't think I'll fuss around with adapters and pigtails. That's only 3x or so the cost of an adapter or pigtail to let me run the welder off my generator--at half capacity no less. Maybe I can get him to put a transfer panel in for my generator while he's messing around back there.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #36  
Just got an estimate from a local electrician of about $150-175 to put a 240 receptacle in next to my meter. It's just a ballpark, as I didn't want him to come out for a proper quote before I was ready to pull the trigger, but at that price, I don't think I'll fuss around with adapters and pigtails. That's only 3x or so the cost of an adapter or pigtail to let me run the welder off my generator--at half capacity no less. Maybe I can get him to put a transfer panel in for my generator while he's messing around back there.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I will be looking forward to you relating your experiences once you get a mask, some supplies, and your power supply set up. You have started down a new path, it will be interesting to follow along with you..

James K0UA

Well, today's task is to take the welder down the road where a distant neighbor has a welding/fabrication shop. I'm going to ask him if he wouldn't mind just plugging it in and running a bead with it to make sure it works. I also have a line on a local guy who has a box of leftover supplies after he got out of welding: hood, jacket, gloves, hammer, a few boxes of rods, and some other misc. stuff. He's asking $40, so even if I can't talk him down a little, it's probably worth it. The helmed isn't auto-darkening, but maybe I can change out the glass or something.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #38  
Well, today's task is to take the welder down the road where a distant neighbor has a welding/fabrication shop. I'm going to ask him if he wouldn't mind just plugging it in and running a bead with it to make sure it works. I also have a line on a local guy who has a box of leftover supplies after he got out of welding: hood, jacket, gloves, hammer, a few boxes of rods, and some other misc. stuff. He's asking $40, so even if I can't talk him down a little, it's probably worth it. The helmed isn't auto-darkening, but maybe I can change out the glass or something.

This sounds like a good idea.. check out the machine and the $40 for the supplies sounds good also.. I welded many years without an auto-darkening helmet, and fixed a lot of things, it is just easier with an AD lens. Also perhaps this person that can check out the welder, can help you a little now and then?

James K0UA

This sounds like a good idea.. check out the machine and the $40 for the supplies sounds good also.. I welded many years without an auto-darkening helmet, and fixed a lot of things, it is just easier with an AD lens. Also perhaps this person that can check out the welder, can help you a little now and then?

Yeah. I figure I can always pick up an AD helmet later if I need to. The supplies are probably still worth $40. At least in the beginning, I'm just going to be running beads on scrap, which I suspect is not so critical.

I'm not sure how to establish a relationship with the guy with the fab shop. I talked to him a bit over the phone once about doing some welding work, and he was kind of short and gruff. That's probably just a phone thing, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable asking him for instruction. I'm sure if the price was right, he'd do it though.

/ Thoughts on this used welder? #40  
Yeah. I figure I can always pick up an AD helmet later if I need to. The supplies are probably still worth $40. At least in the beginning, I'm just going to be running beads on scrap, which I suspect is not so critical.

I'm not sure how to establish a relationship with the guy with the fab shop. I talked to him a bit over the phone once about doing some welding work, and he was kind of short and gruff. That's probably just a phone thing, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable asking him for instruction. I'm sure if the price was right, he'd do it though.

Well a lot of professional tradesmen can come off as a little gruff at first. Sometimes it is because a lot of people try to take advantage of them, by wanting something they have to offer for free, or a "brother in law" price. See if you can become friends with him, maybe offer to do something for him, or bring donuts, beer or lunch or something.. A lot of times these ole "curmudgeons" can lighten up a lot, once he gets to know you a little better. Sometimes they can get downright friendly, when they see that you are a "giver not just a taker". Good luck on that front, but it is worth trying, as it can take years off of the learning curve to have someone to show you how to do things instead of just having to learn it all on your own.
Good luck with it all..

James K0UA