New toy!

/ New toy! #1  

Jesse masterson

Platinum Member
Tractor
07 kioti dk 45s
My brother gave me a high frequency box for welding aluminum , it's a old airco box, I have it hooked to a cheap Hobart stickmate ac dc . Not the best welder out there but definitely not the worst, it's a 225 amp ac 160 dc , it also has a dial on the front of the hf box I presume is heat , but it may be frequency setting, the paint is rusted and flaking so I can't read it. Any suggestions on using this thing!

/ New toy! #2  
Wow. I haven't heard of that before but it certainly sounds interesting! I'll try to do some googling and if I find anything, I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
   / New toy! #3  
If you can post some pictures of the unit, that would help. The connectors might give some indication of the unit's capabilities and what that dial is for. I guess you don't know the model number, huh?

/ New toy!
It had 4 lugs with nuts on them the 2 inside are electrode and ground from welding machine. The outside 2 lugs are for tig torch and ground for work, I'll try to get my wife 2 post a pic, I'm not as technology savvy as she is, he'll I've only been turnig a computer on for a couple of years. Took me longer to figure out how to turn on a computer than it did a woman,just joking I still ain't figured that out, haha.

/ New toy! #5  
.... I'm not as technology savvy as she is, he'll I've only been turnig a computer on for a couple of years. Took me longer to figure out how to turn on a computer than it did a woman,just joking I still ain't figured that out, haha.

LOL! :D I can't find a lot from googling. Hope you can provide a model number or something. Cheers!

/ New toy! #6  
Those boxes were fairly common back in the 80's. Century had one too. Pretty crude but HF none the less.

/ New toy! #7  
Hey, Jesse. Did you try out your new toy? Are you planning to do some aluminum TIG welding with it?

/ New toy!
Yea! I welded some very thin aluminum , takes some getting used to , it's not on par with today's technology, but you can't beat the price, It does a good job though just kinda primitive.

/ New toy! #9  
Jesse,
Those HF boxes work fine for most people if you aren't pushing for extreme limits. You should get a nice, "fat" arc out of it. Keep the points clean and adjusted, and it will last indefinitely.

/ New toy!
Mark, do you happen to know what the gap should be set at on the points. I have no specs on the unit. It's an airco.