advice for new welder

/ advice for new welder #1  

muttspeak

Tractor
IH 2400a
Hello from a newbie, Im looking for advice on learning to weld. I try to self teach whenever i can. Any tips on getting started would really help. A friend at work bought a mig unit from harbour frgt and likes it so far. Any and all thought are welcome.

Thanks

/ advice for new welder #2  
A stick arc welder is probably the most usefull and bullet proof welder capable of welding heavy steel. I have a TIG which is fantastic at welding thinner steel and can also stick weld. I believe I spent $1500 which to me was worth it. MIGs are fairly easy to operate and get satisfactory welds although labor intensive to change metal filler type and diameter and generally for lighter thicknesses of metal. If I could only have one it would be a stick welder AC/DC welder.

/ advice for new welder #3  
Mig welding is by far the easiest to learn in my Opinion, Practice alot and check at your local comm. college for classes or better yet an experienced welder to look over you shoulder and guide you !! Scrap steel and have fun !!!!

/ advice for new welder #4  
Mig welding is easier to learn, sure...but it also makes it much harder to learn the other disciplines of welding. Learning Stick first is invaluable...and learning to OxyAcetylene weld (not braze, but brazing is good to learn as well) first is even better.

/ advice for new welder #5  
Mig welding is easier to learn, sure...but it also makes it much harder to learn the other disciplines of welding. Learning Stick first is invaluable...and learning to OxyAcetylene weld (not braze, but brazing is good to learn as well) first is even better.

Absolutely! You need to learn about penetration, appropriate heat, and puddle development to get proficient at welding. A stick welder will allow you to learn these techniques well. I never learned to Oxy/Act weld...:(

/ advice for new welder #6  
Mark @ Everlast said:

X2. I started with MIG then stick then oxyfuel. It wasn't until the oxyfuel experience that I finally really learned to read a puddle and that helped me make better mig and stick welds. Almost anyone who is self taught with either mig or stick will tend to under penetrate because you get so impressed by the arc that you don't learn to look past the arc to the puddle.

/ advice for new welder #7  
Just a few thoughts...
I would like to have a mig but all we have ever had here on the farm is stick...
I was self taught but I recommend in taking a welding class at your local community college...
The cost is modest and they usually run those in the afternoons...
As far as getting started, a good used Lincoln tombstone can be had for $100 or so...
That will do the majority of what you will need done on the farm...

/ advice for new welder #8  
Just a few thoughts...
I would like to have a mig but all we have ever had here on the farm is stick...
I was self taught but I recommend in taking a welding class at your local community college...
The cost is modest and they usually run those in the afternoons...
As far as getting started, a good used Lincoln tombstone can be had for $100 or so...
That will do the majority of what you will need done on the farm...

MIG is of limited use if you are outdoors and on a farm. You could use flux core, but then, I'd rather settle for stick if I have to use flux core. (my personal opinion, flux core is the choice for some). MIG is better suited for fabrication shops where the environment is controlled, and drafts are kept to a minimum. I use MIG outdoors, don't get me wrong, but it is a lot more costly to do so, when you crank that gas rate up to 30 cfh, rather than 15-20.

/ advice for new welder #9  
X2. I started with MIG then stick then oxyfuel. It wasn't until the oxyfuel experience that I finally really learned to read a puddle and that helped me make better mig and stick welds. Almost anyone who is self taught with either mig or stick will tend to under penetrate because you get so impressed by the arc that you don't learn to look past the arc to the puddle.

You are sooo right about being impressed by the arc. Pretty difficult to concentrate on identifying the puddle when you first start as there is so much going on - strike an arc, sparks flying, feed the rod, don't get it stuck, etc.

I found viewing videos really helpful because I can concentrate on identifying what the puddle looks like without all of the distractions. The following link is really good:

Stick Welding is Better Sometimes - welding-tv.com | welding-tv.com

Near the end, he records the video a bit darker and the arc doesn't stand out as much so you can see the shimmering puddle pretty clearly. It really helped me nail down what to look for and then my technique started to improve. Actually, his videos are really quite informative and entertaining.

/ advice for new welder #10  
undercut said:
You are sooo right about being impressed by the arc. Pretty difficult to concentrate on identifying the puddle when you first start as there is so much going on - strike an arc, sparks flying, feed the rod, don't get it stuck, etc.

I found viewing videos really helpful because I can concentrate on identifying what the puddle looks like without all of the distractions. The following link is really good:

Stick Welding is Better Sometimes - welding-tv.com | welding-tv.com

Near the end, he records the video a bit darker and the arc doesn't stand out as much so you can see the shimmering puddle pretty clearly. It really helped me nail down what to look for and then my technique started to improve. Actually, his videos are really quite informative and entertaining.

I am certainly not an experienced welder but I have gotten to the point where once appropriate decisions have been made on prep and process (all possible to learn from books) that I think the real skill involved is not so much the manual dexterity or even the hand eye coordination but rather it is reading the puddle that separates the novice from the pro. That is why oxyfuel welding is so useful as a learning tool because there is no distracting arc and the slower melting time gives the novice a better opportunity to take in what is happening in different parts of the weld joint. It is like being able to first drive a car in a parking lot rather than on a superhighway. I think TIG is also easier than MIG or stick when learning to read the puddle. My instructor set me up TIG welding abutting plates without filler to learn and it was a great exercise too.