/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #1  

ericher69

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota b2920
I have the opportunity to buy a used Powermax 65

$1200

Thing is there is no 220 service where the guy is and he is 1 hr from home

Sounds like a killer deal (could be hot?)

Was thinking of plugging into his 220v dryer plug to at least power unit on; wouldn't be able to cut with

Any other suggestions? 1/2 cash 1/2 post dated check (could cancel if it doesn't work)

More capacity than I need but...

Thanks

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #2  
Something doesn't add up. It's a steal at that price. It will run off the dryer plug to test. just bring the correct plug along. Bad thing is that you will have to make an adaptor or cut the molded plug off. I would make a short adaptor from 2 flats round ground to what ever he has for a dryer plug. What about air? you will need that to test as well. Good Luck on a good buy.

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #3  
I would just buy it if it tests out OK and not be terribly concerned about it being stolen. Odds would be astronomical that it is hot, IMO.

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65
Yeah,

Just trying to figure how to lower my risk...

Don't like to buy before I try!

Any suggestions? Was thinking of taking it to a welder repair shop nearby to have them test it (if seller allows)

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #5  
Did he give any reason why he has a plasma but no way to use it? I'm just wondering how he would know it works or it's past history. I guess if it sounded legit then I would feel more comfortable taking a chance.

crazyal said:
Did he give any reason why he has a plasma but no way to use it? I'm just wondering how he would know it works or it's past history. I guess if it sounded legit then I would feel more comfortable taking a chance.

Said he used to own a business but got out of it and now works for a contractor

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #7  
If you could borrow or rent a genset for a few hours...Likely you won't need a very large one just to test if it works or not.

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #8  
Said he used to own a business but got out of it and now works for a contractor

When you go to look at it I would ask a few questions, simple things like how often he had to replace the consumables and about what type of air dryer he had. Just to see if the answer sounded reasonable or just made up because he has no clue.

Mark @ Everlast said:
If you could borrow or rent a genset for a few hours...Likely you won't need a very large one just to test if it works or not.

I'll wait a little and see...

But I came to the conclusion that I would tell him to meet me at a local rental shop to test it out

I would bring a twin hot dog/roofing type compressor (should be good enough to fire up) and either rent a 7kW Genny for 20 min or so to test it out or offer the rental place $20 to use their 220V outlet power for 5 minutes.

Much more cap than I need but I might just buy to flip it! ( maybe not)

/ Used hypertherm powermax 65 #10  
It is under warranty. For the price you should buy it.....there really is not much of anything that would void the warranty...other than maybe submerging the unit. The Powermax65 has only been in production since November of 2010.

Jim Colt Hypertherm