Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #1  

soapthedog45

Tractor
Lincoln Idealarc
I have an old (guessing 1960s) Idealarc 250. I have to crank it up to full power just to get a hot enough bead to weld 1/8 steel. Even then the welder will weld for about 2 seconds and the arc willl shut off. Then the arc will come back but only for about 1 or 2 more seconds. Can someone help me out here? Thank you

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #2  
A couple things that you can check. Check your input cord first. Check to see if the plug is in good condition. If it a plug that you can open up take the screws out and check to see if there is a loose wire inside. If the plug is in good condition then check the rest of the input cord for cuts and damage. Check to see if cord is in good condition going into the welder. If that is all good then check your electrode and work leads. Sometimes a loose connection at the work clamp or the electrode clamp will give you problems. If those things all check out good then you will probably have to have the power source looked at by an experienced repair shop. The machine just may need some minor internal repairs. I hope this helps you out... Let me know what you find out....

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #3  
Soap, if you still haven't found your problem, you might post you question here.
Lincoln - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts

There are several there who love fixing up old Idealarcs. They can probably help you figure out what's wrong with yours.
I have one and love it. They are a great machine.

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads
Robert , thank you. While searching for loose or broke wires, I noticed that the wires labeled H1 and H3 were hooked up to the power switch with H2 hanging. On my other Idealarc H1 and H2 are hooked to the power switch and H3 was just hanging. ( I recently got 2 welders at an auction). I removed H3 and let it hang and hooked up H2 to the power switch and the welder is working perfectly. Do you know why H3 was hooked up? Do you know what H3 is used for? Thanks again.

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #5  
Whoa, it was probably wired 120. There should be 3 wires in the cord, 2 the "hots to the switch and the ground going to the chassis of the machine. Are all 3 wires from the cord connected?

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #6  
Robert , thank you. While searching for loose or broke wires, I noticed that the wires labeled H1 and H3 were hooked up to the power switch with H2 hanging. On my other Idealarc H1 and H2 are hooked to the power switch and H3 was just hanging. ( I recently got 2 welders at an auction). I removed H3 and let it hang and hooked up H2 to the power switch and the welder is working perfectly. Do you know why H3 was hooked up? Do you know what H3 is used for? Thanks again.

Whoa, it was probably wired 120. There should be 3 wires in the cord, 2 the "hots to the switch and the ground going to the chassis of the machine. Are all 3 wires from the cord connected?

Not a 120 machine. H3 is for 460. It can be a common misconception that these machines are 3-phase because of the capability to run off 460. I got a great deal on one because the seller got it from a auto shop and when it wouldn't run on 230, he believed it was a 3 phase machine.

IdealArc Manual

Attachments

• IdealArc Data Plate B&W.jpg
    IdealArc Data Plate B&W.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 642
   / Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #7  
I realize its not a 120 machine

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #8  
Every get it solved?

/ Lincoln Idealarc 250 - problems with power to leads #9  
Is this machine new to you or an existing machine that started having this problem? If it's a new machine to you my first thought was the H1/H3 wire to switch was wired for high voltage as that is what they act like when running on 230. None of these were 3 phase but could be wired to two legs of three phase power. Get a wiring diagram form Lincoln's website and start checking with a VOM