Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I have an older B&D 4 1/4 inch hand held grinder.

The spindle is 10mm X 1.5 mm.

I have yet to come across cup wheels for these small grinders. Seems like everything is mounted 5/8-11.

I picked up an adapter at one point, but ended up being 10 X 1.25 internal thread with the 5/8-11 external. But those big cup wheels meant for side grinders are a lot to load onto these little guys.

Ideas?

Cal in Vt

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #2  
Are you looking for a diamond, abrasive or wire cup wheel? I sell abrasives and I've never seen one with an M10 arbour. If your budget allows it might be worth while looking at a new grinder with a 5/8-11 spindle.

Regards,
Mark

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders
Mark thanks for your reply.

Cup wheels, to me, are made for grinding steel surfaces. Cut wheels just are not the same, 'Wear out too quickly for one thing.

Cup brushes are wire brushes used to clean flat surfaces. Diamond wheels are for stone and masonry. Not a good match for the welding forum.
My application is cleaning up 'salvaged" structural steel for "tractor attachments" etc. prior to welding or finishing. Nothing takes off rust like a cup wheel! Brushes tend to "burnish" the surface of deeply rusted steel.

Have you ever tried to hold a full size side grinder in one hand? ;-)

I found my M10X1.5 tap, ;-) I'll keep looking for small cup wheels, and adapt as needed.

Cheers

Cal

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #4  
Why would you be holding the grinder with one hand. Get a vice to hold the piece being worked on so you can safely manage the grinder regardless of size.
I find that the flat disc sander pads ( some call them flap wheels, Tiger Paws etc) work best for removing rust and smoothing metal. Much better than a cup wheel.

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #5  
CalG said:
I have an older B&D 4 1/4 inch hand held grinder.

The spindle is 10mm X 1.5 mm.

I have yet to come across cup wheels for these small grinders. Seems like everything is mounted 5/8-11.

Cal in Vt
Looks like this?

159931_lg.jpg
But diferent thread.

Could you take a 5/8 bolt and drill and tap it to fit your grinder,
making your own custom adaptor.

Last edited:
   / Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #6  
Mark thanks for your reply.

Cup wheels, to me, are made for grinding steel surfaces. Cut wheels just are not the same, 'Wear out too quickly for one thing.

Cup brushes are wire brushes used to clean flat surfaces. Diamond wheels are for stone and masonry. Not a good match for the welding forum.
My application is cleaning up 'salvaged" structural steel for "tractor attachments" etc. prior to welding or finishing. Nothing takes off rust like a cup wheel! Brushes tend to "burnish" the surface of deeply rusted steel.

Have you ever tried to hold a full size side grinder in one hand? ;-)

I found my M10X1.5 tap, ;-) I'll keep looking for small cup wheels, and adapt as needed.

Cheers

Cal

Cal,

I'm well aware of the different uses for each of the above types of wheels. Your subject heading said "cup wheel" so I was trying to clarify. (FYI, there are diamond wheels now for grinding steel). For removing rust and scale from structural steel, knotted cup brushes are much preferred in the industry. Bonded abrasive wheels such as you are suggesting will tend to become loaded up with the rust.

Another option that might be of interest for you is a non woven wheel such as this:
http://www.cgwcamel.com/datasheet/66.pdf

Not sure why you would need to hold the grinder with one hand?

Regards,
Mark

Cal,

I'm well aware of the different uses for each of the above types of wheels. Your subject heading said "cup wheel" so I was trying to clarify. (FYI, there are diamond wheels now for grinding steel). For removing rust and scale from structural steel, knotted cup brushes are much preferred in the industry. Bonded abrasive wheels such as you are suggesting will tend to become loaded up with the rust.

Another option that might be of interest for you is a non woven wheel such as this:
http://www.cgwcamel.com/datasheet/66.pdf

Not sure why you would need to hold the grinder with one hand?

Regards,
Mark

Mark

'Got a link to those diamond wheels for steel? My only use of them has been for shaping stone.

I've torn through more of those non woven pads than you can shake a stick at. They don't take well to sharp corners. Something that is on every piece of steel I have ;-)

Cup wheels last so much longer, I've had some mounted for years on end. That's why I'm looking for them for the small grinder.

Look, I'm 61, been using side grinders and cup wheels since I was 11 or 12, don't recall which. I admit that some of the new stuff must be good, and I don't keep track of it all. I'm used to the performance and the characteristics of cup wheels and just looking for similar in the smaller form factor. I appreciate all the concern about my safe handling of power tools, and the dangers of one handed operation,But I doubt I'll change my habits now. If those 4 1/2 inch grinders were not meant to be single handed, why did they make them so compact and handy? Today I used Cut wheels, cup brushes and a straight brush in the fabrication of the plow frame for the Fordson. Some of the work was still on the tractor for positioning. That little grinder gets in the small spots pretty handily.

If there are no cup wheels for these small grinders,, then so be it.

Heck, If I need the metal clean, I get out the rose bud!

Cheers

Cal

Looks like this?

View attachment 282879
But diferent thread.

Could you take a 5/8 bolt and drill and tap it to fit your grinder,
making your own custom adaptor.

Dan

That's the type, thanks for the picture. As mentioned in my first post, I had tried an adapter, but it was the wrong size. That didn't keepme from mounting one of those full sized wheels however ;)

But, those big cup wheels are too much for the compact grinders. Lot's of mass spinning around.

These are close

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dewalt-DW49...490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43af12d3c2

Just change the arbor configuration.

Cheers

Cal

Dan

Lots of options at that site.

Heck at a buck and change each the cut wheels could be used for many purposes.

I might put in an order for the adapter, a cup wheel or two, and a box of cut wheels.

Thanks!