Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23

Default Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders

I have an older B&D 4 1/4 inch hand held grinder.

The spindle is 10mm X 1.5 mm.

I have yet to come across cup wheels for these small grinders. Seems like everything is mounted 5/8-11.

I picked up an adapter at one point, but ended up being 10 X 1.25 internal thread with the 5/8-11 external. But those big cup wheels meant for side grinders are a lot to load onto these little guys.

Ideas?

Cal in Vt

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 65

Default Re: Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders

Are you looking for a diamond, abrasive or wire cup wheel? I sell abrasives and I've never seen one with an M10 arbour. If your budget allows it might be worth while looking at a new grinder with a 5/8-11 spindle.

Regards,
    Mark

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Mark thanks for your reply.

Cup wheels, to me, are made for grinding steel surfaces. Cut wheels just are not the same, 'Wear out too quickly for one thing.

Cup brushes are wire brushes used to clean flat surfaces. Diamond wheels are for stone and masonry. Not a good match for the welding forum.
    My application is cleaning up 'salvaged" structural steel for "tractor attachments" etc. prior to welding or finishing. Nothing takes off rust like a cup wheel! Brushes tend to "burnish" the surface of deeply rusted steel.

Have you ever tried to hold a full size side grinder in one hand? ;-)

I found my M10X1.5 tap, ;-) I'll keep looking for small cup wheels, and adapt as needed.

Cheers

Cal

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Why would you be holding the grinder with one hand. Get a vice to hold the piece being worked on so you can safely manage the grinder regardless of size.
    I find that the flat disc sander pads ( some call them flap wheels, Tiger Paws etc) work best for removing rust and smoothing metal. Much better than a cup wheel.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalG

I have yet to come across cup wheels for these small grinders. Seems like everything is mounted 5/8-11.

Cal in Vt
    Looks like this?

-159931_lg-jpg
    But diferent thread.

Could you take a 5/8 bolt and drill and tap it to fit your grinder,
    making your own custom adaptor.
    Last edited by CNC Dan; 10-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Dan H.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 65

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Mark thanks for your reply.

Cup wheels, to me, are made for grinding steel surfaces. Cut wheels just are not the same, 'Wear out too quickly for one thing.

Cup brushes are wire brushes used to clean flat surfaces. Diamond wheels are for stone and masonry. Not a good match for the welding forum.
    My application is cleaning up 'salvaged" structural steel for "tractor attachments" etc. prior to welding or finishing. Nothing takes off rust like a cup wheel! Brushes tend to "burnish" the surface of deeply rusted steel.

Have you ever tried to hold a full size side grinder in one hand? ;-)

I found my M10X1.5 tap, ;-) I'll keep looking for small cup wheels, and adapt as needed.

Cheers

Cal
    Cal,

I'm well aware of the different uses for each of the above types of wheels. Your subject heading said "cup wheel" so I was trying to clarify. (FYI, there are diamond wheels now for grinding steel). For removing rust and scale from structural steel, knotted cup brushes are much preferred in the industry. Bonded abrasive wheels such as you are suggesting will tend to become loaded up with the rust.

Another option that might be of interest for you is a non woven wheel such as this:
    http://www.cgwcamel.com/datasheet/66.pdf

Not sure why you would need to hold the grinder with one hand?

Regards,
    Mark

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP2321 View Post
    Cal,

I'm well aware of the different uses for each of the above types of wheels. Your subject heading said "cup wheel" so I was trying to clarify. (FYI, there are diamond wheels now for grinding steel). For removing rust and scale from structural steel, knotted cup brushes are much preferred in the industry. Bonded abrasive wheels such as you are suggesting will tend to become loaded up with the rust.

Another option that might be of interest for you is a non woven wheel such as this:
    http://www.cgwcamel.com/datasheet/66.pdf

Not sure why you would need to hold the grinder with one hand?

Regards,
    Mark
    Mark

'Got a link to those diamond wheels for steel? My only use of them has been for shaping stone.

I've torn through more of those non woven pads than you can shake a stick at. They don't take well to sharp corners. Something that is on every piece of steel I have ;-)

Cup wheels last so much longer, I've had some mounted for years on end. That's why I'm looking for them for the small grinder.

Look, I'm 61, been using side grinders and cup wheels since I was 11 or 12, don't recall which. I admit that some of the new stuff must be good, and I don't keep track of it all. I'm used to the performance and the characteristics of cup wheels and just looking for similar in the smaller form factor. I appreciate all the concern about my safe handling of power tools, and the dangers of one handed operation,But I doubt I'll change my habits now. If those 4 1/2 inch grinders were not meant to be single handed, why did they make them so compact and handy? Today I used Cut wheels, cup brushes and a straight brush in the fabrication of the plow frame for the Fordson. Some of the work was still on the tractor for positioning. That little grinder gets in the small spots pretty handily.

If there are no cup wheels for these small grinders,, then so be it.

Heck, If I need the metal clean, I get out the rose bud!

Cheers

Cal

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Dan View Post
    Looks like this?

-159931_lg-jpg
    But diferent thread.

Could you take a 5/8 bolt and drill and tap it to fit your grinder,
    making your own custom adaptor.
    Dan

That's the type, thanks for the picture. As mentioned in my first post, I had tried an adapter, but it was the wrong size. That didn't keepme from mounting one of those full sized wheels however

But, those big cup wheels are too much for the compact grinders. Lot's of mass spinning around.

These are close

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dewalt-DW496...item43af12d3c2

Just change the arbor configuration.

Cheers

Cal

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalG

I picked up an adapter at one point, but ended up being 10 X 1.25

Cal in Vt
    http://abrasives4sale.com/pad_accessories.htm
    Has the adaptor you need.
    Dan H.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Dan

Lots of options at that site.

Heck at a buck and change each the cut wheels could be used for many purposes.

I might put in an order for the adapter, a cup wheel or two, and a box of cut wheels.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast