Welding gloves

/ Welding gloves #21  
i like long cuff gloves.. even with a welding jacket with leather arms

which by the way.. I forgot to mention to the OP.. a nice welding jacket is a good investment. I think I paid somewhere between 50-75 bucks for mine from the welding store... leather arms and the green fire resistant treated facing on the shirt. worth it.

I think I might take a look at those full arm gloves.. mine currently are mide arm or a lil longer. the heat shild is interesting.. not sure if I would like it or not.. but plan on trying one one!

thanks for the pics.

...I couldn't disagree more w/ the gentlemen who suggest
you shouldn't over think gloves. True, I get accused
a lot on this board for "Over Thinking" (makes me laugh actually)
but usually my ways work VERY well...not always, but usually...

Maybe I have graduated to a professional welder?
Doubt it...but this set up is soooooooooooo nice!

I found that trying different gloves was a God send and now
I run for my elbow length gloves, AND, I accessorize each
glove with a back-of-hand/knuckle protecting heat reflective pad!

The right protection make all the difference in the world.

Here are the heat reflectors I have been running;

BX-BP-wl.jpg

Here are the gloves I run, there awesome! LOVEM!

1878-bb.jpg

/ Welding gloves #22  
I'd like to have the money all those companies spent on heat shields for me back in the day!:drool:

I find them very cumbersome unless I'm running really high amp wire feeds. For stick welding they always seem to be in the way. I made a smaller version, only use it for pipe welding. I shake so bad now a days I have to control the rod with my pointer finger on my left hand:mad:. This really saves on gloves welding overhead under a pipe.

Attachments

• GHeatshield 1.JPG
    GHeatshield 1.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 178
  • GHeatshield 2.JPG
    GHeatshield 2.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 205
  • GHeatshield 3.JPG
    GHeatshield 3.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 173
  • GHeatshield 4.JPG
    GHeatshield 4.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 177
  • GShield.JPG
    GShield.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 171
  • GShield 2.JPG
    GShield 2.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 166
   / Welding gloves #23  
For stick welding, I check the size by sticking my mitts in them and making a fist. If there's slop with a clenched fist, I move on to the next pair; if I can't close my fist completely, I move on to the next pair. I have big hands, so I always have trouble finding a pair with long enough fingers to close my fist completely. Not being able to easily close my hand completely makes gripping the rod holder tiring which leads to poor welds. That's my excuse, anyways.

/ Welding gloves #25  
Heh-heh - you are welcome to it!

/ Welding gloves #26  
   / Welding gloves #27  
I have found that prior to buying any brand, try it on (both hands) to make sure there isnt a fold or something that makes them feel uncomfortable. Every brand will occassionally have a sewing defect in them that gets by Quality Control so check the stitching also. Gloves that have a liner sometimes the liner isnt sewn in and tries to reverse itself out of the glove especially when your hands get a little sweaty, not a good think.
These are just a few of the things to look for when trying on a new pair of gloves.

/ Welding gloves #28  
Too tedious to read all these posts, so here is my take: I welded for years as a pipefitter/welder. Most of the welders I worked, with including myself, used nothing but good grade leather driving glove, soft and pliable only. We even did flame cutting and O/A welding. Always wore long sleeve shirts buttoned up to protect arms from arc burn. Still today, I weld that way. My welding supply has a nice glove I like for under $4. I use them for everything; and buy tthem 6 pair at a time. I keep a pair in every vehicle, 2 in the shop, one on the welder, rest are spares. I use pliers or vise grips to pick up or move hot metal. I have never had a serious burn.

Ron

/ Welding gloves #29  
I alwYs felt to make a good weld get comfortable, that includes the things you wear, its as much of the process as the machine.

/ Welding gloves #30  
Jesse masterson said:
I alwYs felt to make a good weld get comfortable, that includes the things you wear, its as much of the process as the machine.

I agree, and sometimes depending on the procedure, ill wear two different gloves. For tig work this is what ive been using latley.

ForumRunner_20121015_064516.png