Considering my first welder.

/ Considering my first welder.
Ok thank you very much! I am kinda clueless on metal thickness, but whatever sheet metal is on old lawn tractors is, thats what its going to be used for. I would like to stay with either a lincoln or miller unit, as i have been told they are top of the line.Basicly I have 800 bucks to spend and really want to get the most bang for my buck, which seems to be the lincoln 140. Then again with the autoset, the miller sounds promising to. The diffrence in cost is about 120 bucks which i am willing to spend if that is the best route to go. Thanks again

/ Considering my first welder. #13  
all you need is a chart to get started with .that is why i like tapped settings.set the tap based on thickness then fine tune it with line speed .i would get a lincoln 140t.

I have one more question. Where is the miller and the lincoln made?I try my absolute best to only buy usa made products.

/ Considering my first welder. #16  
I am in my 60's and spent a lifetime being a marginal welder until I took some Tech school night classes and actually learned the right way and became a good intermediate welder. In all of these efforts I found that more people than not tend to gravitate towards the Lincoln welders. I'm virtually certain all USA made but call them. Look on-line as well since they have great tech and educational info.

/ Considering my first welder. #17  
You don't indicate your budget. If you can spend a bit more (well more than twice really) what a entry level US made 110V MIG machine costs, have a look at the new Miller Multimatic 200. It does MIG, TIG and stick in a 20 some pound package. Not cheap at about $1700 or so discounted but for non industrial use it offers the benefit of all three main processes and great flexibility.

Thank you for your replys, Yes i am going to do some more investigation on the place of origin on these machines.I will buy one over the other even If it costs a bit more. My budget is $800. I would love to have that miller your taking about, but there is no way i could swing that kind of $. With what im lookin at, i can get a millermatic 140 for 719.00 dollers, but that is the biggest. Does miller make a 140 without auto set, because im going to be flux core welding and dont need this feature.If not that im going to probably decide between the miller and lincoln 140s depending on where they are made. thanks

Last edited:
   / Considering my first welder. #19  
Miller's and Lincoln's are probably still "made" here in the USA; but I know they have some Chinese components in them. Unfortunately one can't get away from that fact of modern life. The good thing about Miller and Lincoln is that parts and service are readily available if need be.

Just a guess on my part; but it seems a lot of Hobart welders are rebadged Miller's that are one model cycle older than the current Miller lineup.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Lincoln or a Miller. You may not need the auto-set feature now; but don't limit yourself just because your current plans are for using flux core wire. Like tractors, welders find all sorts of unexpected uses once you get one.

/ Considering my first welder. #20  
I have both Lincoln and Miller and must say that the Miller 140 with out auto set has far out performed my Lincoln as far as durability, reliability, and quality. I believe I paid around $700 for the Miller but it included a spoolgun for aluminum work. I did upgrade the mig gun to a 15ft 200 amp unit and upgraded the ground clamp and wire to 15ft also. I have had my Miller 140 for 5 years now and the Lincoln is only used rarely for flux core work which is very seldom.