Considering my first welder.

/ Considering my first welder. #21  
I have a millermatic 135 and this thing has been used and abused daily in a automotive repair shop. We do alot of exhaust work. Couldn't ask for a more reliable machine.

/ Considering my first welder.
teampryor said:
I have both Lincoln and Miller and must say that the Miller 140 with out auto set has far out performed my Lincoln as far as durability, reliability, and quality. I believe I paid around $700 for the Miller but it included a spoolgun for aluminum work. I did upgrade the mig gun to a 15ft 200 amp unit and upgraded the ground clamp and wire to 15ft also. I have had my Miller 140 for 5 years now and the Lincoln is only used rarely for flux core work which is very seldom.

So there is a miller 140 without auto set. Do they still make it?

Last edited:
   / Considering my first welder. #23  
The auto set is the only 140 in production at the current time if I am not mistaken. You may be able to find an old stock item. Auto set was a new thing when I purchased mine and was steered away from it for that reason. But you can turn the auto set function off. so just accept the auto set as a bonus feature you may or may not utilize.
I cant say enough about all the projects I have completed in remote places, on steel, stainless steel and aluminum with this little welder.
heres a random ebay link, not a referral just a reference.

Miller Millermatic 140 MIG Welding Pkg w as 907335 715959360258 | eBay

/ Considering my first welder. #24  
The auto set feature is very easy to use. The welder comes with a thickness gauge that will tell you what thickness of metal you are working with so there is no guesswork.
I have found the .030 wire size to be the most versatile with this welder.
The weaknesses are the gun will last a couple hundred hours until it needs a liner and at that point its probably better just to upgrade your gun. Also the alligator ground clamp is just not the best design but does work. I just found that 10 feet is a bit short in a lot of situations.
The biggest thing you can do to make this equipment last is pay attention to the duty cycle, 2 minutes of welding per ten minutes of run time has served me well with 110 volt machines.
Best wishes, and be sure to get the matching digital elite helmet from Miller also. Vision is everything in welding.
I am not associated with Miller or any welding supply company my opinions and experiences are solely that of a consumer and customer of Miller welding products.
God Bless America, and God help us all

/ Considering my first welder. #25  
I too am looking for a welder; in my internet research I've noticed one thing that really surprised me - a lot of Lincoln supporters are unhappy with the way Lincoln has been handling some warranty issues and several have sidelined late model Lincolns because the cost to repair them was so high.

I'd like to hear from a repair center (one that is not also a dealer) about their frequency of repairs and units that are not repaired.

If Lincoln uses foreign parts, that is their choice. If they don't stand behind them, well that makes my choice a bit simpler.

/ Considering my first welder. #26  
I too am looking for a welder; in my internet research I've noticed one thing that really surprised me - a lot of Lincoln supporters are unhappy with the way Lincoln has been handling some warranty issues and several have sidelined late model Lincolns because the cost to repair them was so high.

I'd like to hear from a repair center (one that is not also a dealer) about their frequency of repairs and units that are not repaired.

If Lincoln uses foreign parts, that is their choice. If they don't stand behind them, well that makes my choice a bit simpler.

I've always thought Red and Blue were roughly equal machines with each having a few advantages at particular price points. That said, I don't recall anyone ever raving about Lincoln's repair services while Miller generally gets very good marks for customer service. That could just be the situation here in the New England area but may be more general. I've had both and never needed repairs so have no personal experience with either company in that regard. I've had good luck with a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone, a Lincoln 135 mig, a Miller Maxstar 150, and Miller Passport. Just needed consumables (which seem easier to get for Miller in my area).

/ Considering my first welder. #27  
I know it's a money thing,... i started off with what i thought was all i needed and bought the millermatic 180. Outgrew it rather quickly and ended up with a millermatic 252. Now, this welder rocks!! Ended up costing me more this way.
Some times you have to spend more to save in the end

/ Considering my first welder. #28  
I know it's a money thing,... i started off with what i thought was all i needed and bought the millermatic 180. Outgrew it rather quickly and ended up with a millermatic 252. Now, this welder rocks!! Ended up costing me more this way.
Some times you have to spend more to save in the end

I used the Millermatic 252 or most current version of that line in my welding class. It is awesome and makes welding almost too easy. Then again, I'd rather lift my Maxstar and Passport into the trunk.

/ Considering my first welder.
Ok thank you, I think that Im just going to settle for the Hobart 140. I just cant seem to justify 220 extra dollars for its blue counterpart.

/ Considering my first welder. #30  
Why not go for the Hobart 210 MVP? They can be had for around your $800 budget. I recently bought a new mig and it was a toss up between the Hobart 210 and a Miller 211. I ended up going with the Miller. I am happy with it but I am not sure autoset is all it is cracked up to be. It gets you in the ball park but you still have to tweak it a little.