Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere Gator, 1974 Gravely l8 FOR SALE, 2008 John deere 425 zero turn

Default Considering my first welder.

Hi, I have some experience with gasless mig welding and was very impressed with it portability and ease of use. I dont know much about other forms of welding, but I want to look at buying my first welder.I will mostly be welding sheet metal for tractors and trucks along with small projects. It must be able to plug into a regular wall socket and preferrable no tanks. this is what i am considering buying. thanks
    https://m.northerntool.com/northernt...?itemId=167746

Tractor
    N.H. TC-30

Default Re: Considering my first welder.

If it was me , I would look at the 140 instead , twice as much in $$$ but likely twice as good also . Look on Craigslist , also look for the SP135 Lincoln . Same as the 140 just older model .
    That is the one I have , SP135 model , And you will be surprised at what you are able to do . But here is the downside , Thinner medals can be tricky since as you stated , no bottle of gas , so that limits you to fluxcore wire and smallest I have found was .030 . Try welding 20 gauge with .030 = low amps , slow wire feed , and move FAST !! Can be done but it can also be frustrating .

Fred H.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

i would get a Lincoln 140.

Tractor

Thank you for your replys , what are the pros and cons of a 140?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kioti ck30

how does Lincoln compare with Hobart?

Tractor
    A couple

Quote Originally Posted by lockhaven View Post
    how does Lincoln compare with Hobart?
    Lincoln and Miller are essentially equal. Hobart and Miller are owned by ITW (Illinois Tool Works), and Hobart is just a step down from Miller as they use cheaper components here and there to lower the price. That's not to say the Hobart is a bad product, it's just not top tier like Miller and Lincoln. Miller has a dual voltage MIG unit that you might get to start off on 110 volts, and then as your skills and needs increase, you can add a 220 volt circuit and still use the welder you bought.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

to me lincoln and miller are not equal.on a 110 machine i like lincoln better.one thing to look for is tapped settings or infinite .for a beginner tapped setting are easier to learn on,that is what i still prefer.2 other options to consider are a regulator for mig and a aluminum kit.lincoln offers their 140 with fluxcore only or with mig and flux, of course it costs more.the aluminum kit consists of aluminum rollers , tip and teflon liner.my recommendation would be to get a lincoln 140 with tapped settings with the mig set up and add the aluminum kit if you need it.aluminum has to use argon gas.

Tractor

So looking at the handy core and 140 side by side, do you think it is worth over double the cost?

Tractor

Also any oppinions on a millermatic 140?

Tractor
    N.H. TC-30

My brother has a miller 140 for use around the house to go along with his 212 in the shop . It is pretty similar to the lincoln 140 although the miller has the auto set feature which I know nothing about .
    I myself am not a fan of the " Tap " type settings that are on the Lincoln 140T's , Mine is the SP135 "C" model , earlier version of the 140 . " T " is for Tap settings , while " C " is for continuous settings . For me , the continuous give's greater flexibility in your welding or Fine Tuning while welding . Instead of being stuck with either setting it at say 4 or 5 , with continuous , you can go any were in between 4 and 5 . Handi mig tops out at 88 amps with 70 amps @ 20% duty cycle , While the 140 goes to 140 amps with 90 amps at 20% duty cycle . 20 more amps does not sound like much BUT if you are welding sheet metal ( Thickness ??? ) you would be able to set the 140 at 70 amps and have a longer duty cycle than the handi mig .

Go here : Operators Manuals | Lincoln Electric
    Then in the top search box , click the arrow on the right side , scroll down to handi mig , then press go. It will bring up the operators manual in a .pdf format .
    Then scroll down to page B4 , gives a small chart on settings for various metal thickness up to 1/8" . It may actually work for you and if it did , that price is hard to beat unless you find a 135 or 140 used on Craigslist .

Fred H.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast