Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Default Re: Multipurpose Chop Saw

I do believe most 14 in cold cut saws run at about 1300 to 1400 rpm no load.

I have this DEWALT cold cut saw, and there are different blades for ferrous, aluminum, etc.

FREE SHIPPING DEWALT Multi-Cutter Saw 15 Amp, Model# DW872 | Chop Saws| Northern Tool + Equipment

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/39419.pdf

It does cut quite well, and does make a lot of noise.

The finish cut is very smooth

Blades cost about $160.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Here is a link to some of the cuts made with my uh umm... saw that cuts metal with a metal blade and doesnt get hot. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/c...-hf-metal.html
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

I like the old fashioned band saw.

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361
    Here is a link to some of the cuts made with my uh umm... saw that cuts metal with a metal blade and doesnt get hot. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/c...-hf-metal.html
    Ibought one of the HF saws to cut pieces that are too big to put into my "cool-cut" 14" chopsaw, and they both do a great job- much cleaner cuts with square sharp corners and just slightly warm when done. I've used both over capacity with no problems.

I got the chopsaw on clearance about 3-4 years ago from TSC for $40 because it was discontinued and missing the carbide blade. Very luckily for me they forgot to give me some parts, and when I stopped in to get them, somone had returned one for a motor problem, so they gave me the unused blade off it for no charge.

I learned from that the it never hurts to ask.....

Thomas
    No matter where you go; there you are...

Bronze Member

If your going to be cutting anything other than tin i would steer clear of the HF saw... I used one at a friends house and it about died cutting 4 inch exhaust pipe... I have also used one of them metal chop saws with the toothed blade.. dont remember the brand but i will tell you this, be prepared for ALOT of noise when you pull that saw into metal.. but it worked very well.. better and faster than a conventional chop saw...

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by snowjoker
    If your going to be cutting anything other than tin i would steer clear of the HF saw... I used one at a friends house and it about died cutting 4 inch exhaust pipe... I have also used one of them metal chop saws with the toothed blade.. dont remember the brand but i will tell you this, be prepared for ALOT of noise when you pull that saw into metal.. but it worked very well.. better and faster than a conventional chop saw...
    My cool cut saws cut smoothly and easily, and are less noisy than my 4.5"HF angle grinder.

Thomas
    No matter where you go; there you are...

Gold Member

I have had an abrasive saw for 20 years and a dry cut for about 10 years. You have to be careful how you cut things with the dry cut saw as you can chip or break a tooth. Always plan your cut to ease the blade into the material, start the saw, let it come up to speed and gently push it into the material. Never force the blade, let it do the work. For example, on angle material you want the legs down so the web or "V" portion is up.

It's easy to chip a tooth if you try to start the saw on the edge of one of the legs as the tip of a tooth can catch on the tip of the edge - and bingo - you've chipped or lost a tooth. If you don't bend the blade in the process, a good sharpening shop can braze on a new tooth - but there's better than an 50% chance that in the process of catching the blade tip you've tweaked the entire blade slightly - and then you have a $100+ bill for a new blade.

You'll know when the blade gets dull as the cut speed and chip quality will change - have the blade sharpened immediately. Only use the saw for aluminum, brass, carbon steel, do not cut stainless - you will quickly ruin the blade.

I use both of my saws for specific materials like stainless only gets cut with the abrasive saw. I prefer to use the dry cut saw as the cuts are cleaner and more accurate - chips from the saw are part of how the saw works, they vacuum up easily - that's why I have a good shop vac.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123