Multipurpose Chop Saw

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I think the brand name is "Evolution" with a 14 inch "Rage2" multipurpose blade that is suposed to outperform 20 abrasive discs, cuts 4 times faster and will cut steel, aluminum and wood with the same blade. Cold cut, no sparks and there is a vacume port on the back.

Any body try one out yet? What do you think about it?

Shop Evolution 14-in Multipurpose Cutting Chop Saw with Blade at Lowes.com__

chop saw.jpg

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #2  
Not that particular brand, but I have ran cold cut saws before.

As with anything, the quality of the blade makes a big difference. But in practice, I have found that on average it isnt 4x's faster or 20x's longer. Its more like 2x's faster and maybe 3x's longer than a good abrasive.

Personally, I dont like them. I dont like the shavings they leave around, vacuum system or not. Kinda like the little slivers left from a carbide burr in a die grinder.

I'd much rather have a good horizontal bandsaw, and an abrasive for the harder materials. Cause the onlytime I even consider using a chop-saw type is for hardened stuff. IE: drill rod, allen keys, alloy bolts, etc. And cutting that stuff with a cold saw, you wont get near as long of blade life.

This is just my :2cents: I am sure there is a place for the cold cuts, I just havent found it with having a band saw and an abrasive chopper.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw
The thing that caught my eye was a sale bill from Menards for $200. That is cheap for a cold cut saw,,, but only if it works like the store sponsored reviews claim it does.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #4  
I have my doubts. But I guess it depends on the circumstances. If cutting something like aluminum, then yea, I an see it being 4x's faster and lasting 10x's longer. cause aluminum would cut easy with a metal blade, but load up and wear out an abasive.

But for general all around cutting, I think the 2x's faster and 3x's longer is alot more realistic. And if cutting harder materials as I mention, I wouldnt even go that far.

Not to mention (again) I hate the slivers it leaves.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #5  
I just purchased this one from Harbor Freight...
3-1/2 HP 14" Industrial Cut-Off Saw
With 20% off coupon it was $80 before shipping...
So far so good...
I cut up some 3x3 angle when I got it with the cheap blade...
I purchased a better blade from Norther Tool but have not yet tried it...
I realize that this chop saw is cheap but no more than I am going to use it that is ok...
I did repair my dad's old metal cutting band saw last year and like it better than the chop saw...
Like LD1 stated the darn thing produces a lot of metal filings and you need to be careful as to not overload it...
IMHO the band saw is better but limited to size of material that you can cut...

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw
I would love to have a band saw but I don't have the room or the need often enough to spend the kind of money for a fairly decent one. I had a project last week involving some 1/2" channel and 3/4 x 4 bar stock, which reminds me, I need a larger head for my torch also. Most of my play time involves 3/16 " stuff which is why I started this about the cheap cold saw.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #7  
At one time I seriously thought about buying one of these, just because it would be faster to cut angles. But so far my Ellis is doing a fine job. So much so I removed my shop built chop saw from the shop and stored it in an out building.

Evolution Power Tools RAGE3 10" Mutipurpose Miter Saw

Attachments

• Belt guard.jpg
    Belt guard.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 422
  • Guards.jpg
    Guards.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 229
   / Multipurpose Chop Saw #8  
I have had both abrasive (Dewalt model D28715) and cold cut saws (Ridgid model 72862) and I prefer the cold cut. It is faster, quieter, cleaner cuts, and no deflection of the blade like you sometimes get with abrasives.

The blades can be very expensive, but you can have them professionally sharpened for about $15-$20. On one blade I have put in 1500 feet of 2 rail pipe fence (about 400 cuts). Toward the end, it was getting dull, so I took it in to get it sharpened and it is good as new. The most important thing is to avoid binding the saw up. If the carbide teeth get knocked off, it is game over.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw
   / Multipurpose Chop Saw #10  
Nice, I didn't know there was a "Rage3 saw. Sometimes it would be nice to easily make a miter.
I would really like to have one, but I just don't do enough of that kind of work. What little I do the Ellis does just fine. If I was a high production shop I'd have one already, but just being a hobbyist I can't justify it.:confused3: