Mig welding aluminium

/ Mig welding aluminium #31  
Shield,
That's a very good weld for MIG!
Thank you! ;)
But I can't take the credit, if you'll notice my signature I buy top of the line welders, they do all the work. I just turn them on, and point them in the right direction.
See here is what my Dynasty 300 can do with Tig welding aluminum.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 508
   / Mig welding aluminium #32  
Shield Arc said:
Thank you! ;)
But I can't take the credit, if you'll notice my signature I buy top of the line welders, they do all the work. I just turn them on, and point them in the right direction.
See here is what my Dynasty 300 can do with Tig welding aluminum.

Looks great, have you ever tried a positioner bud? I just got one, and although im still sorting it out, I could definately see the advantages.

/ Mig welding aluminium #34  
Shield Arc said:
I bought one awhile back. If you're anything like me, best get a notebook and start writing down the speeds for which process you're using. Otherwise I forget! :eek:

WP-250 Light Duty, Standard Speed Welding Positioner [AUT-WP-250] - $1,719.00 : Arc-Zone.com, The Welding Accessory Experts

Thats a big YUP! on that. Whooo doggie, you aint kiddin! Im starting to really enjoy it, ive only been using it with tig so far, and still have my moments of brain freeze, but little by little im working that out. One things for sure, I have to build a lower table for it, im short, and its way to high for me on my table, and standing up working two foot pedals is very tricky to say the least! :0

/ Mig welding aluminium #35  
Woodsmith, after reading all the suggestions from the other members and I agree with most of them, here is something different and save you a few bucks. The cleaning is the most important overall, but instead of buying degreasers, solvents and such, just use vinegar. You say you used a s/s pad to clean with, thats good as long as you only use it on aluminum and always use a clean side or you're just rubbing contaminats back into the metal. After the pad, spray or brush it with vinegar, that will nutrilize the metal. Without a spool gun its hard to use the smaller size wire, really need .030 but to help absorb the heat from the bigger wire and give you more metal to work with get some aluminum rod, 1/8,5/32 and lay it between the tubes where you are going to weld, be sure to clean the rod too. I differ with a couple quotes here, you can make mig look as good as tig. I have been welding for over 40yrs and although tig is good, mig is faster, I hope this helps in some manner.

/ Mig welding aluminium #36  
Thats a big YUP! on that. Whooo doggie, you aint kiddin! Im starting to really enjoy it, ive only been using it with tig so far, and still have my moments of brain freeze, but little by little im working that out. One things for sure, I have to build a lower table for it, im short, and its way to high for me on my table, and standing up working two foot pedals is very tricky to say the least! :0

I have mine mounted on one of those cheap Harbor Freight tool stands. The height worked out perfect with my stool. My biggest problem is remembering which pedal to step on!:mad:

Attachments

• Positioner.JPG
    Positioner.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 402
   / Mig welding aluminium #37  
I differ with a couple quotes here, you can make mig look as good as tig.
I've come close to making my Mig welds look like Tig. Guess it's a good thing I can't Tig weld all that well.:eek:

Attachments

• 5356 flat.JPG
    5356 flat.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 467
   / Mig welding aluminium #38  
I've come close to making my Mig welds look like Tig. Guess it's a good thing I can't Tig weld all that well.:eek:

Too much spatter and ripples in the puddle. I like tig:D

/ Mig welding aluminium #39  
I thought the ripple / fish scale look is what everybody is after! :confused:

Attachments

• Tig aluminum.jpg
    Tig aluminum.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,425
   / Mig welding aluminium #40  
Yea, the stack-o-dimes look is what everyone goes for. But in that mig weld, there looks to be tiny "ripples" (for lack of better words) in-between the stack of dimes look.