Mig welding aluminium

/ Mig welding aluminium #61  
If you get a chance try some ceriated (orange) tungsten. I've got to the point now that is all I use, no matter stainless steel, aluminum, or mild steel.

Thats what we use. But the color has changed, they are grey now (at least in the brand we buy).

Rob-D, I'll have to loo into that.

/ Mig welding aluminium #62  
LD, if you really want a brain focus, finger burner give this a shot, 28ga copper sheet. Ugh this project is killing me. Doesnt help that im using #6 solid house wire, probably around 3/32.

ForumRunner_20121025_084536.png

ForumRunner_20121025_084620.png

/ Mig welding aluminium #63  
LD, if you really want a brain focus, finger burner give this a shot, 28ga copper sheet. Ugh this project is killing me. Doesnt help that im using #6 solid house wire, probably around 3/32.

View attachment 286113

View attachment 286114

I don't know your application but I simply solder sweat copper sheets. I built a crook for my chimney 20 years ago and it is still in good shape with this method. If the seam is stressed I use mechanical bending to add strength.

Rob

/ Mig welding aluminium #64  
Rob-D said:
I don't know your application but I simply solder sweat copper sheets. I built a crook for my chimney 20 years ago and it is still in good shape with this method. If the seam is stressed I use mechanical bending to add strength.

Rob

Strictly ornamental Rob, didnt want any discoloration in the blend work. Just finished the blending and polishing about 2 minutes ago! LOL

ForumRunner_20121025_104014.png

ForumRunner_20121025_104043.png

/ Mig welding aluminium #66  
If you get a chance try some ceriated (orange) tungsten. I've got to the point now that is all I use, no matter stainless steel, aluminum, or mild steel.

I know a lot of guys are swearing by 2% lanthanated but I haven't tried it yet.

Rob

/ Mig welding aluminium #67  
I could get away with red, green, orange, and gold, but I run old transformer machines at home and at work. For me it seems theres a place for all of them, because they only effect bead width. The orange ceriated is pretty durable tho as far as contamination goes, screw ups and stuff. Im gonna run a test tho with all of them, but im leaving town for a few wks starting tomorrow so ill have to wait till I get back. Bowhunting 3 states, yahooo!

/ Mig welding aluminium #68  
I don't remember the % of lanthanated I have. I quit using it because the tip splintered on me at high amps.:confused3:

/ Mig welding aluminium #69  
I have been using 1.5 Lanthinated, Blue band.. 1/16.. my welder cant go high enough to really need larger anyway. Depending on which chart you look at the 1/6 lanth. is good for almost 150 amps. But I dont think I have ever welded above 100.. Heck if it is bigger stuff , I use 7018!. I know some guys do root passes on pipe with a TIG. but I just use a TIG to repair and make little things mostly. Seems to work for me.

James K0UA

/ Mig welding aluminium #70  
I know some guys do root passes on pipe with a TIG.
James if you really want to improve your Tig welding skills get some 2-inch to 4-inch pipe, grind a 37 1/2-degree bevel on it, use a 3/32-inch drill bit to set the gap. Use 1/8-inch filler rod, and make 4-tacks, 3, 6, 9, and 12-O'clock. Place it on a 45-degree angle, (6-G). When in the 6-G position you have to use both hands to make the weld! On the right side of the pipe you'll hold the torch in your left hand. On the left side of the pipe you'll hold the torch in you right hand. Trust me, this will really improve your Tig welding skills. ;)
First picture is the inside of a pipe I Tig welded. Second picture is of the outside of the pipe.

Attachments

• 5G sch 40.jpg
    5G sch 40.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 303
  • No 7 cup.jpg
    No 7 cup.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 198