WD-5 Miller Welder

/ WD-5 Miller Welder #1  

Huffmang

Tractor
1936 F-20 Farmall John Deere H 165 Massey Ferguson
I have a wd-5 miller welder that quit working. Motor still runs but won't put out curent or weld. Don't know what to check. Had to buy a new welder due the time of the June storm. lost power for 96 hours. Needed a welder to keep things going. Any ideas on what to check? Or anyone want it for 500 dollars, motor is still good.

/ WD-5 Miller Welder #2  
There should be a "exciter wire" that provides excitation for the gen to put out. It might be broken, loose or fused. That's the first place I would look.
Not familiar with that welder but the wire should come from the engine 12V. look for a wire that goes from the engine to the gen.
Miller a lot of times will have a schematic on a inside panel.

/ WD-5 Miller Welder
Thanks will check that out.

/ WD-5 Miller Welder #4  
Huffmang, I just went through this with a lincoln, I would do like Stimw said first, if that doesn't help, check for a breaker, don't know if Miller uses them but lincoln does. In my case the breaker was as if it wasn't popped but after pulling the hood and checking with a tester, that was my prob. Also you might want to check the computator for cleaning. Good luck and hope you find the prob, I know how agrivating it can be. If all else fails and you want it gone I may take you up on the sale.

/ WD-5 Miller Welder
This is a 78 model have not found any breakers. This unit went down on me during the 6/29/12 storm. had to get another one quick. So it is for sale. It has a herules dieasel i believe. Motor an everthing else is in working order. It weighs around 1900 hundred pounds