Weld shortened axles?

/ Weld shortened axles? #1  

Donman

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 187D Bobcat 743 skid loader w/forks and homebuilt 6-way grader blade
How do I weld shortened axles like this? How strong will they be? The attached picture is of a Chevy truck axle that was shortened to make a small tractor. Are those axles case hardened steel? Besides alignment tricks is there anything special about welding these? Thanks
Donman Chevy rear axle.jpg

/ Weld shortened axles? #2  
I can't ever remember doing anything like this before. I would guess you'll need a specialty rod, proper preheat, and post heat. Along with the post heat, it will need to be a controlled step down, most likely over at least a 24-hour period.
I bet yomax4 or Gary Fowler will be able to help more!

/ Weld shortened axles? #5  
In the off road TV show I watch they will shorten the axle tubes, but they always buy the custom length axles.

/ Weld shortened axles? #6  
I've seen lots of homemade garden tractors with welded axles. I don't think there is enough power or weight to break a decent weld. Just keep it straight.

Bruce

/ Weld shortened axles? #7  
When I do mine the plan was to cut and weld.
On the Land Rover Salisbury axles I have the axle is splined both ends and there is an internally splined drive member that bolts to the hub at the outer end.
My plan was to cut the outer end of the axle and bevel it. Then grind out the splines in the drive member and bevel the outer rim.
The axle will be pressed back into the drive member so that it is the right length and squared up. The beveled end of the axle can then be welded making the outer end of the drive member into a big plug weld. The inside edge will also be welded around where the axle fits into the inside of the drive member.

I doubt that my electric tractor will produce enough power or torque to bother a welded axle (fingers crossed, after breaking two transaxles!).
However, I am now thinking of allowing myself a little more width and just using the shorter standard axle shaft on both sides. It will just mean, for the sake of 6" extra width, my tractor won't fit in through my house doors anymore.

I believe with your American axles there are plenty of places that have axles off the shelf or will respline. So much better and easier.

/ Weld shortened axles? #8  
I welded the shortened Chevy axles on my 4wd garden tractor. They're case hardened and very hard on the outside. I used 308-16 stainless rod and a little preheat. I used my old Sears buzz box ac welder. I didn't see any cracks and the axles have not broken. I've had good results using stainless rod on hardened steel like grader blades and axles. I'm not a pro welder, so not an expert.

/ Weld shortened axles? #9  
There used to be a old machinist close by that would weldup bushhog blades. I watched him do it once but I was a youngun and its been 40years ago. I do remember that he had some sort of crayon he would mark the metal with while preheating it. Different color for different temperatures. He used a torch for the heating. He would weld a bit and then heat, weld and heat, until he had it completely welded. Then post heat and quinch in oil and then bury in what I believe was lime, might of just been plain sand, and leave until the next day. Never heard of any of his blades breaking so I guess he knew what he was doing.

/ Weld shortened axles? #10  
muddstopper said:
There used to be a old machinist close by that would weldup bushhog blades. I do remember that he had some sort of crayon he would mark the metal with while preheating it. Different color for different temperatures.
Yup. Called tempil sticks.

Last edited: