disconnect the battery.....

/ disconnect the battery..... #11  
I wish people would quit repeating this erroneous statement. Electricity in a circuit flows in all paths available and the current that flows in each path is dependent upon the individual resistances.

That is a great explanation Mace. Never really thought like that- yes, just repeating what I was "taught" :ashamed:
It makes perfect sense....quite honestly also explains the times I have gotten "bit"

Thank you!

/ disconnect the battery..... #12  
This doesn't exactly apply, but I used to have a 10kW military generator. It was a two battery positive ground system. We put it on a trailer to haul to job sites.

After a couple of ruined alternators and a bad battery - I figured out that the two battery / charging systems were fighting each other as soon as the trailer was hooked up.

I ended up installing a throw switch on the positive ground cable. Problem solved.

So - should you disconnect the battery of a vehicle you are welding on? Personally I think it would be the smart thing to do. It might not immediately toast a battery, but it might decrease its capacity by a few points.

/ disconnect the battery.....
Thanks all. I'll unhook it just to be safe.

/ disconnect the battery..... #14  
i have welded on trucks, tractors equipment hooked on tractors sometimes with them running and have not had a problem.

/ disconnect the battery..... #15  
I wish people would quit repeating this erroneous statement. Electricity in a circuit flows in all paths available and the current that flows in each path is dependent upon the individual resistances.

You beat me to it.

/ disconnect the battery..... #16  
i've welded on auto's and tractors with alts and even EI.. I have rarely ever removed a wire or battery / cable.

keep the ground clamp as near the work as you can..

if you are welding RIGHT next to an electronics device.. go ahead and pull it if you can...

/ disconnect the battery..... #17  
So - should you disconnect the battery of a vehicle you are welding on? Personally I think it would be the smart thing to do. It might not immediately toast a battery, but it might decrease its capacity by a few points.

if you hookup your weld leads correctly.. you should not effect the bat at all.. unless you thermally damage it from welding too close to it...

electronic principles are very easy to learn.. plenty of resources on the web or in a library to learn about this.

e=IR means something.... :)

/ disconnect the battery..... #18  
Soundguy said:
if you hookup your weld leads correctly.. you should not effect the bat at all.. unless you thermally damage it from welding too close to it...

Ha ha. "If you hook up your leads correctly..."

There's this little thing called senility...... sometimes referred in the moment as "had a brain fart".....or the "what were you thinking"; usually followed by a Homer Simpson exclamation of "DOH!!" after realizing what you have done.

Signed: Prospective AARP Member

:)

/ disconnect the battery..... #19  
Come to think of it, In the very unlikely event that things were done wrong to allow the welder to possibly cause issues with either the expensive electronics, or the battery, I can think of some situations where the electronics would actually be more protected by leaving the battery connected.;)

/ disconnect the battery..... #20  
give the choice.. i'd disconnect hot before ground....