disconnect the battery.....

/ disconnect the battery..... #1  

pipefitter

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 23
I have a small weld, (mig), to make on my BX-23. Whenever I weld on a car with a computer, I disconnect the negative battery cable. Is this necessary on a 2003 tractor? I planned to unhook it, but wondered if was really necessary?

/ disconnect the battery..... #2  
Doesn't take but a minute to pull it, better safe than sorry.

Ken

/ disconnect the battery..... #3  
I have welded on all kinds of tractors, backhoes and automobiles and never unhooked a battery and never had a problem. Keep the ground properly connected and hooked close to where you are welding and you wont have a problem as long as you dont directly arc a wire on the tractor.

/ disconnect the battery..... #4  
kensnelling said:
Doesn't take but a minute to pull it, better safe than sorry.

Depending on the equiptment and how close I can ground it I ussualy disconect the battery.

/ disconnect the battery..... #5  
I've never disconected either the + or - when welding. Pulling the ground off the battery won't do anything to isolate your electronics from the welder currents.

/ disconnect the battery..... #6  
The frame of the tractor is the return path for your electrical system. The battery negative is only one of several parts of your electrical system that's attached to the frame. So disconnecting the battery negative, while it probably gives you peace of mind, does not eliminate the other "sneak" paths into the electrical system. And the arc itself generates electromagnetic interference that can couple into the electronics and sometimes cause problems in tractors with fancy computerized setups. The best advice is to attach the return lead from the welder to a position as close as possible to the site of the weld.

Good luck.

/ disconnect the battery..... #7  
This comes up from time to time here, and like many things, it usually ends in disagreement.

I worked in a body shop full of vehicles and technicians, all my life. Thousands of vehicles repaired, including many I owned. I have never seen any problems resulting from welding on vehicles with the battery connected.

Others will cite evidence they had issues.

It's your call.

/ disconnect the battery..... #8  
Keep your welding ground as close to where you are working as possible. Be aware of the location of electronic components and try to avoid grounding near them.

-follows the path of least resistance

/ disconnect the battery..... #9  
I've always just used a double ground. 1 on each side of the weld. Sounds like it's not needed.

/ disconnect the battery..... #10  
follows the path of least resistance

I wish people would quit repeating this erroneous statement. Electricity in a circuit flows in all paths available and the current that flows in each path is dependent upon the individual resistances.