HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #51  
I don't notice much difference either. Only that you have to run the AC at a higher amperage than DC for the same "heat". And that it sounds different. I have stuck alot of metal with both, and cannot thin of a single time using AC where I thought " I wish I had DC" ore vice versa

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #52  
I don't notice much difference either. Only that you have to run the AC at a higher amperage than DC for the same "heat". And that it sounds different. I have stuck alot of metal with both, and cannot thin of a single time using AC where I thought " I wish I had DC" ore vice versa
I can, the one time on a whim I grabbed some aluminum stick rods, that barely work on DC, and not at all on AC.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #53  
Many years ago I was welding up some cracks in a 6' brush hog. The cracks were in the middle of the deck, so I was kneeling on the deck. It was close to 100 degrees in the afternoon, in the driveway, in full sun, on a very humid day and I was sweating so profusely even my welding gloves were soaking wet..... that's all I remember. :laughing: That, and it hurt. :rolleyes: I shut off the welder and went inside.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #54  
Aluminum rod is the hardest rod I ever used t weld with, but it worked in a pinch and 6011 is a must have rod for scrap metal welding and thin farm equipment repair, that's why I always kept it on hand and before I had a cutting torch, 5/32 6011 was my cutting torch.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #55  
Many years ago I was welding up some cracks in a 6' brush hog. The cracks were in the middle of the deck, so I was kneeling on the deck. It was close to 100 degrees in the afternoon, in the driveway, in full sun, on a very humid day and I was sweating so profusely even my welding gloves were soaking wet..... that's all I remember. :laughing: That, and it hurt. :rolleyes: I shut off the welder and went inside.

I can relate to that, I went through your state in August of 07, it was somewhere around 105 degrees, and it was worse when I got to Missouri, 115', it don't get quite that bad here.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #56  
I think thats what I said, the cap's "smooth" this DC wave out.:confused2:

No.. You said caps didn't fill the holes.. And that's exactly what happens when you put a cap across a rectified circuit.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #58  
Not all the time, but sometimes I can feel the current when I touch the electrode and the grounded table.

Touching the electrode and the grounded cable brings up something thas has me puzzled. When I watch some of the weldors who are giving instruction on youtube some of them steady the electrode by holding it by the flux with their free hand. I thought this was a no no. Is it approved by the pros?

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #59  
No.. You said caps didn't fill the holes.. And that's exactly what happens when you put a cap across a rectified circuit.

lol, I think our terminology is getting confused, caps don't fill holes ( as in a zero volt reference and up ) they smooth out " ripples"/"noise" of a specific voltage and are also used as storage cells. Anyway's, the point I was trying to make about a DC welder is that you have a steady DC current available at the rod which in turn gives a smoother weld, IMO, and thats what the OP was asking. And I could be wrong but could also be a little safer ( as in shock value) than AC. The only downfall I see is that a DC welder has a lower amperage setting value than its counter part AC machine. But for "personal" home type use, DC for me. Bigger rods will need more juice, and its always good to have AC available if needed.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #60  
some of them steady the electrode by holding it by the flux with their free hand. I thought this was a no no. Is it approved by the pros?
Well I'm no pro:), but that's how I've been doing it for years.;)