Lincoln SP-175T Question

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #1  

GSmith4965

Bronze Member
I have a Lincoln SP175T Mig welder with very little use on it. I have been very pleased with its performance in the past. Just recently, I noticed that the wire feed is erratic causing a very inconsistent arc and very poor weld. It sounds like the wire feed motor is surging. Sometimes it will work well for 2-3 seconds then start surging. It doesn't matter what wire speed i select. It will happen at any speed. I an a hobbyist welder and use the welder probably 6-8 times per year. Any ideas? Thank you

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #2  
GSmith4965 said:
I have a Lincoln SP175T Mig welder with very little use on it. I have been very pleased with its performance in the past. Just recently, I noticed that the wire feed is erratic causing a very inconsistent arc and very poor weld. It sounds like the wire feed motor is surging. Sometimes it will work well for 2-3 seconds then start surging. It doesn't matter what wire speed i select. It will happen at any speed. I an a hobbyist welder and use the welder probably 6-8 times per year. Any ideas? Thank you

Yup

Time for a new liner! Have the sp170-T and it did this to me a few years ago

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #3  
Just another thought, have you checked the spool tensioning? You want the spool to spin freely, but not to continue to spin once you let off the trigger. Other wise your wire will birds nest. Is the wire free of any rust spots? When is the last time you changed the contact tip?

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question
All excellent points, thank you. I find it hard to believe that I need a new liner. I have probably put 30 pounds of wire through it since new. I will try new contact tip, new spool. The spool on there now has prob less than a pound on it and has been on the machine probably over a year!! (No, I dont use it too much). I have had issues with the spool tension in the past. I have loosened the wing nut accordingly, maybe too much. If these items prove not to help, i will look to the liner next. Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate your insight.

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #5  
We used to clean the liner with brake kleen or thinner. Then take it out in the yard and swing it around to get the loosened dirt out, swap ends and swing it again. Worked for us on liners with many large spools of wire through them.

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #6  
Also just taking the liner out and blowing the dust and dirt out of it will help a lot.

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #7  
Back in the day this was about the only gun you seen on job sites in my line of work. Back then they did not have replaceable liners!:rolleyes: These guns were pushing $300.00 a pop! Every Friday night I would have the guys knock off a little early so they would have time to disconnect these guns and blow them out using an oxygen bottle with no gauge. Really cut down on having to buy new guns every few months!

K126 PRO Innershieldョ 350A FCAW-SS Welding Gun 15 ft 062-332

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #8  
Try SA suggestions first but a new liner is only about $20.

Good machines but can be finicky at times.

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question #9  
Sounds like a dirty liner to me.

Try straightening out the gun as much as possible. (no coils laying on the floor cause you are working in close proximity to the welder), see if that works. And then try with the lead coiled up like when you store the welder. If it is significantly worse....its a liner most likely.

/ Lincoln SP-175T Question
Thanks again guys!! I Appreciate the experience