Broken weld on backhoe frame

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #1  

Longbeard

Tractor
case 480c
Hi guys,

My frame on my Case backhoe is broken. Just above the rear axle on the shuttle shifter side. Im thinking Ill grind a v in it and weld it up with some 7018 then maybe put a diamond plate on it. Any other suggestions. Anyone have a break here on theirs?

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #2  
I would get a professional to weld it as there is a lot of stress on it. There is more to welding than what the average person sees. I do thing adding the plate on is a good idea.

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #3  
Grinding the crack is a good start. Also make sure to drill the ends of the crack to prevent it from spreading. Having everything clean in the area to be welded helps as well. ( no paint ) Frame member should weld fine with 7018 and DC, but to be sure I'd use 10018 ( DC ) and if I only had a AC machine, it would be 11118. Either of these rods have a 100,000 yeald per inch and are good for high alloy steels where 7018 has a 70,000 lb per inch yeald and is best for mild steel. Grind the weld flat, cover with your patch, and weld all around with the same rod. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before any welding, don't want to fry your voltage regulator. ( don't ask how I had to learn this one )
Chris
Chris

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #4  
Could I bother you for a picture?
I have a hard time pricing things over the phone. :)

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #5  
I never did like grinding out cracks, the grinding dust will cover the crack, and make it hard to see it's limits. I always liked using a carbon arc, or now days a plasma, either one will open up a crack so you can see it. But I realize most people do not have those tools. Drilling a hole at each end of the crack is always a very good idea, but do this before grinding! Just encase the frame is still under stress.
I would never recommend using 11018 unless I knew exactly what the base material was. I seen a guy splice some mild steel beams once with 11018, the welds cracked right down the toes before completing the splice. Personally the highest I'd go is 8018. You could call case and ask them for a welding procedure.
If you do use a doubler plate, try not to use any sharp corners. Round or oval is best, but if you do use sharp corners make sure you tail out your welds like this picture! This will confuse any stress lines.

Attachments

• Fish plate tail out.jpg
    Fish plate tail out.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4,227
   / Broken weld on backhoe frame
Yep, no access to air arc or plasma cutter. In fact I'm going to have to get my Lincoln weld n power running before I do anything. I bought a Hobart 135 wire welder a few years ago and dont use the stick much anymore so its been sitting. Vert up, mutlipass with the little wire welder holds anything I need welded. The backhoe is a different story. I wasnt sure what kind of steel the frame was made out of, I was hoping somebody here would. Im just going to go with the 7018. I'll have to remove the wheel to get to it. That will be another tricky operation I imagine. Ive never removed a tractor wheel. Shouldnt be hard with the out riggers, but manhandling it will be. No fork truck here either. Thanks for the tips guys. BTW I didnt mention that this is the factory weld thats cracking.

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #7  
To be safe, I'd use a little preheat, and wrap the area up in some old house insulation when done. And let it cool to the touch.

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #8  
you could gouge it with a torch.i would use 7018.

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #9  
Shield Arc said:
I never did like grinding out cracks, the grinding dust will cover the crack, and make it hard to see it's limits. I always liked using a carbon arc, or now days a plasma, either one will open up a crack so you can see it. But I realize most people do not have those tools. Drilling a hole at each end of the crack is always a very good idea, but do this before grinding! Just encase the frame is still under stress.
I would never recommend using 11018 unless I knew exactly what the base material was. I seen a guy splice some mild steel beams once with 11018, the welds cracked right down the toes before completing the splice. Personally the highest I'd go is 8018. You could call case and ask them for a welding procedure.
If you do use a doubler plate, try not to use any sharp corners. Round or oval is best, but if you do use sharp corners make sure you tail out your welds like this picture! This will confuse any stress lines.

Slick fix- very nice.
I use my torch to find cracks a lot of the time. Heat one side of crack evenly and the crack shows up because it will not let heat pass on other side. Bonus is you are preheated! I realize that there are people who might frown upon this and I am open to their view. I have used mag-flux once and it was pretty neat. I am just a welder and easily amused.

/ Broken weld on backhoe frame #10  
Yes grinding sucks but you need to do it. Drill holes grind the crack if you have a tourch heat it at least until all the moistureis gone then weld it with 7018 do not use mig/solid wire. Dc welders are the best way to go. If you put a patch over it you absolutely have to round the corners, a pop can or coffee mug would be a great templet to mark the rounded corners out with. Also grind the crack weld flat so the patch sits flat on base metal. The patch doesn't need to be any thicker then what you are patching.