Welder/Generator

/ Welder/Generator #1  

mitchash

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra MAX 28XL, Jinma 254 (Sold)
I am in need of a generator for some construction work and backup power. I have an old Wards stick welder (was given to me for some repair work I did, it works well), 225amp AC Lincoln stick and a Clark 135EN MIG welder. I have been looking into the Welder/Generators and seen that some work as AC/DC stick, MIG and TIG. It would be great to have one unit do all that! It would also be nice to be able to weld aluminum and stainless once in awhile. Do these units work well? What brands are good? What should I look for in a used unit? Thanks

/ Welder/Generator #2  
A buddy of mine has a Lincoln 305 G. He uses an old LN-22 wire feeder with it. I know the 305 G has CV, so you could buy an LN-25 wire feeder, gas regulator, bottle of gas, to run Mig. To run aluminum, I see in the accessories section you would need K487-25 spool gun, and K488 control module, and K691-10 input cable. I have the same spool gun and module. Doesn't look like you would be able to Tig weld aluminum with this machine, but you could buy a Tig rig, and Tig weld mild steel and stainless steel.
I've used his machine a little bit, very nice arc!

Rangerョ 305 G Engine Driven Welder (Kohler)

Attachments

• New.JPG
    New.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Tig rig 200 amp.jpg
    Tig rig 200 amp.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Tig power block.jpg
    Tig power block.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 288
   / Welder/Generator #3  
Could go with ranger gxt it has all polarities and remote ready @ 250 amps. I used one about five years ago for about a month. It has a crisp arc but puddle tends to be a little on the watery side. It might smooth out with a different rod. Nothing bad no complaints just my feel.
I know the miller trailblazer 302 will do everything but comb your hair. It is a little more money, out of this world arc for a machine that is not painted grey.
The gxt is a good buy, expect fill ups every 10 hours with on and off welding.

/ Welder/Generator #4  
I assumed you want to tig. If you are thinking wire for al you have more options but need a feeder, or suitcase. I love tig so that is we my lil mind wanders .....

/ Welder/Generator
I used a TIG at a place I used to work at and liked welding with that a lot. I welded aluminum, stainless, mild steel and cast iron with it with good results.

/ Welder/Generator
I would like a Welder/Generator with about 9000 to 10,000 watt generator and have a AC/DC stick welder. I have a little Clark 135 amp MIG welder that works well for the small stuff. I found a couple of used Lincoln Rangers for around $2500.

/ Welder/Generator #7  
mitchash said:
I would like a Welder/Generator with about 9000 to 10,000 watt generator and have a AC/DC stick welder. I have a little Clark 135 amp MIG welder that works well for the small stuff. I found a couple of used Lincoln Rangers for around $2500.

Had a buddy that was a welder mechanic and told him I was looking at a used ranger. He said if it looks good tell them you need to do some arc gouging. If they reply with: " oh yeah it will do it", keep looking! Laugh about it every time I think about it. Rangers have a good arc.

/ Welder/Generator #8  
If I remember correctly there was a huge debate on the Miller site 8 or 9 years ago about carbon arcing with engine drives. One of the Miller moderators jumped in and said there was no proof that carbon arcing would damage an engine drive. I know I never had a problem turning the dials all the way up on an engine drive that belonged to the company, but would never do it to one of mine. I have done a little carbon arcing with my Miller Trailblazer 55-D, but very little, and with small rods, used just to take out one or two bad welds. Now a days I use my plasma for scarfing things, but if for some reason I really had to get after it, I'd rent a machine!;)

Attachments

• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 175
  • Carbon Arc 1.JPG
    Carbon Arc 1.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 204
   / Welder/Generator
I found a 04 Miller Bobcat 250 nt for $2400. that has about 50 hours on it. Is this a good machine? Is that a fair price?

/ Welder/Generator #10  
mitchash said:
I found a 04 Miller Bobcat 250 nt for $2400. that has about 50 hours on it. Is this a good machine? Is that a fair price?

Sounds pricey, does it have stuff with it? Bobcats are good tough machines. There are some real good buys out there already to go to work.