welding table

/ welding table #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I'm going to post a picture of the welding table I made earlier this year to get some ideas of repairing a bottom cross brace. If you look carefully at the horzontal brace it is about 5/8 inch higher than the other end. I was in too big of a hurry to get it welded and did'nt check my tack welds before welding it in place. If I cut one end from the leg and the brace going the other direction, and not cut into the other braces and just use a hammer to lower the two braces and tack them into place and then weld. I'm wondering how this will affect the other braces. Maybe just check the welds on them and worse case grind and reweld or heat and bend at each weld. What do you think. I don't want to redo the bottom half of the table. It wasn't cheap to build. I guess I could leave it. Your ideas. Also I was looking at some plazma cutters at general air for $1100. They told me I would need a air compressor that keeps a constant 120 psi in order for the plazma to work. Any thing less it would shut off. The 60 gallon kobalt at lowes would not work. Whats up.

Attachments

• tractorbynet #1 table.jpg
    tractorbynet #1 table.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 424
  • tractorbynet #2 table.jpg
    tractorbynet #2 table.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 276
   / welding table #2  
Can you get to the welds with an angle grinder and cut off wheel? That might make for a cleaner repair with less grinding and re-weld. Maybe raise the low side instead of lowering the high side? That way, the cut welds and grinds are hidden by the shelf.

/ welding table #3  
As long as the top work area was relatively level I would leave it.

/ welding table #4  
I'm guessing the out of kilter appearance is bugging you, and I know that feeling. Instead of cutting and grinding and rewelding, how about adding a 1/8" x 2" or 3" piece of flat stock all the way around as a lip to keep things from falling off the shelf when you roll the table around? The flat stock could be welded up square, and yet cover the square tubing braces so you don't notice as readily that something is a bit out of whack.

/ welding table #5  
Do you have a sawzall? In the past I've had some luck cutting things like that with my sawzall. Not really sure you could get a port a band in there, but maybe.

How many CFM will that plasma require?

/ welding table #6  
I use the harbor freight cut off wheels as they are as thin as they come. Then reweld.

/ welding table #7  
My vote is for the thin cut off wheels. I think the space between legs is wide enough that raising that one corner up shouldn't affect the "trueness" of the other legs or the table top.

/ welding table
My vote is for the thin cut off wheels. I think the space between legs is wide enough that raising that one corner up shouldn't affect the "trueness" of the other legs or the table top.

I got my tape out and measured each vertical space between the bottom shelf and under the table top and decided that the measurement of 7/16 was not enough to worry about. I noticed that there is a few 1/16's between each measurement so the table is not perfect but it looks great and I'm going to leave it. That is not worth all the grinding cutting and welding to fix 16's of an inch.

/ welding table #9  
I think that is a good call. You can probably think of a dozen things better things to work on with the time you would have had to invest in getting everything trued up. Cheers!

/ welding table
thanks for all the intrest!!! and ideas