Welding Table Casters

/ Welding Table Casters #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I am in the process of designing a welding table (space limited) and I want to make it moveable without a crane or pallet forks.
I have seen some nice ideas with what appear to be great casters on them here on the forum.

Best estimate on table weight as I have currently planned minus caster weight is a little over 500 lbs. Thus table weight plus whatever is on it I figure at least 250 lbs rated each for the four of them for a 1000 lbs table rating.

My question is what model caster have people found to be long lasting and not going to break with use or break the bank to purchase?
Any suggestions?

/ Welding Table Casters #5  
I'd go with double-lock swivel casters. They're very stable. I bought mine on sale for about $13.00 ea. Mine are 3/8" threaded stem, making them height adjustable.

/ Welding Table Casters #6  
I have built heavy duty tables in the past and used the wheels that go on semi trailer landing gear. Each leg uses two wheels but one on each side of a table is plenty since they can handle a lot of weight. The axle is IIRC is 2" pipe.
You can put stiff legs on other end and move with pallet jack or dolly or put swivel casters.

/ Welding Table Casters #7  
Stimw said:
I have built heavy duty tables in the past and used the wheels that go on semi trailer landing gear.
Wow, haven't seen wheels on landing gear in a long time. I didn't think they were made any more.

/ Welding Table Casters #8  
Wow, haven't seen wheels on landing gear in a long time. I didn't think they were made any more.

Hadn't thought about that. ????
I got out of semi trailer repair in 1998 and started my own business selling and repairing construction equipment, haven't looked back.
Everything might be sand shoes now. :(

/ Welding Table Casters #9  
I used the casters that go into regular brick bucks (scaffolding) and no problems with good wheel locks. My table is 4x8x1/2 and has a bunch of beating done on it and tons of juck stacked on it. It also had a pretty big vise bolted down & a rack with all the small grinders & 1 big one hanging on it. All you need is a 5" or so pc. of 1 1/2" ? pipe for it so slide up into at each corner. If for some reason you want to remove them they will pull right out, although you'll loose about 6-7" of table height.

/ Welding Table Casters #10  
I got the one's from Northerntools... I think 1k lbs. load on each wheel.
287hwtz.jpg