Multi Quip reliability compared to others.

/ Multi Quip reliability compared to others. #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I am looking for a 10kw used diesel welder generator, maineally will be used for power back up. I had a Miller 250 with a onan engine and it really sucked the fuel. I know a welder was made to weld and not for power back up. It's pretty hard to find a 3 cyl diesel gen. I found a 3 cyl 10kw 300 amp MQ welder for $2500. How do they compare to a Miller, Lincon, Hobart?

/ Multi Quip reliability compared to others. #3  
My Hobart 10,000 watts generator welder it is gas,, it holds 8 gals and runs for 10 hours.. I use it on my wells in the pasture,, it cost about 2800 dollars now at Tractor Supply,, or about 70 dollars aday to run full time,, I have a home generator 24000 watts hardwired with auto switchover on natural gas,, it cost me about 75 dollars aday but it runs the entire house.. I installed it myself slab, piping and wiring,, it cost a little less than 6000 dollars total.. Lou

/ Multi Quip reliability compared to others. #4  
guess what I trying to say,, is if it for your home you may want to look at a home unit.. there several different levels,, from ten thousand to 50 thousand watts,, if you install it your self you save almost twice the cost.. they will run off propane or natural gas.. flip of the switch.. Lou

/ Multi Quip reliability compared to others. #6  
I remember using one of those Multi Quip machines in the late 80s. I thought it had an Isuzu engine in it. I remember it was really quiet, with all the noise on a construction site standing next to the machine I couldn't tell if it was running or not, with out opening the doors, or looking at the exhaust.
Don't remember much about the quality of the welder, just another welding machine to me. But I know I had it maxed out running 5/64-inch Innershield welding precast concrete panels down. I was running 70-pounds of wire a day with this machine. Don't remember having any problems with it, and it was a rental:eek:.