Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I have a new to me weldmax 164i.

I have played around with it a couple times but this weekend had to do a repair to the cuttung wedges on my logsplitter. I needed to cut some damaged steel and struggled to get the plasma cutter to cut through. I got a lot of popping - some slow and some sounding like "machine gun fire". I also damaged the cup - chips around the edges etc. My question is...what am I doing wrong?

IMAG0577.jpg

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #2  
Hi Scotty,

Give our tech guy a call. I believe it is an issue with the air and the tips. Please try running around 45PSI on this machine. Also, make sure the air is moisture free. However, one of our welders is standing by to talk to you. You can reach Kevin or David at 510-887-7090 x 208

Thanks

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #3  
How thick where you trying to cut?

Sounds like you have a combination of well used consumables and possibly a "wet" air supply.

If you haven't yet change the consumables and make sure your air supply is moisture free!

You should also check your ground clamp for proper clamping force and a solid mechanical ground connection from wire to clamp.

Eric

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback
Sorry - I should have mentioned what I was doing. The cutting wedge and a support bracket ripped off trying to split a really tough log. The support was 1/2 to 3/4 thick because of additional welds (not mine) and the support really got twisted. Because I am a rookie on this I left on the guide to keep me off the metal but that really added some distance (maybe 1/8 or more). I just checked what the pressure was and it was set at 85 psi. I am utlizing the built in water filter - which had zero moisture in the trap when I checked it. Should I have additional moisture filtration?

Also - Because I have no way to gauge - are these consummables shot? I hope not - they have about 30 minutes of use on them! I just want to learn so I know when they need to be changed and so that I am not throwing out stuff that is expensive when I don't need to:
IMAG0579.jpg

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #5  
Consumables look pretty worn! I recommend a new piece. Also, if this is a WeldMax 164i - it will struggle at 3/4" - you may need to do a double pass. Make sure you have a good ground as well as it seems that you may experience sputter from the pilot jumping back and forth.

Checkout our youtube channel for some tips on plasma cutting at longevitywelding's channel - YouTube

Call our techs as well!

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback
Simon - I need some clarification. I was told to set this up at 85 psi when I called in for tech support after I bought it and I see in the videos that he isusing about the same psi. My manual says 65-75. And you mentioned 45. Are there different settings for different applications?

Also - I went through the consumables pretty fast....say less than 30 minutes of use. Is that typical? Am I doing something wrong?

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #7  
Simon - I need some clarification. I was told to set this up at 85 psi when I called in for tech support after I bought it and I see in the videos that he isusing about the same psi. My manual says 65-75. And you mentioned 45. Are there different settings for different applications?

Also - I went through the consumables pretty fast....say less than 30 minutes of use. Is that typical? Am I doing something wrong?

Depending on the torch, the model, and the cut capacity of each machine. For the WeldMax units the factory recommends actually from 45psi to 75psi. The PSI rating can be adjusted while you are at pilot arc. The tech probably recommended 85 psi as there is a drop in pressure when the trigger is pressed. In this problem, it can be your air, your ground clamp, moisture or what you are cutting is too thick.

You can also check the arc gap inside the machine so that it is at 30,000ths, but I believe the issue is possibly what you are trying to do. Maybe you can send a photo or upload one here. If you have already spoke to Tech. Let me know who you talked to.

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #8  
A few tips:

-There are two different pressures on an air plasma system. 1. is the incoming air from your compressor....it should be in the range of about 85 psi to 120 psi....which is the normal range that a compressor cycles. 2. There is the plasma pressure....which is set by the onboard regulator for the plasma system....this is set according to the torch manufacturers specs (should be listed in your operators manual)....and is the pressure that goes to the torch nozzle for cutting. If it is too high you will get rapid consumable wear and possibly misfiring......too low, again the consumables will wear rapidly. Make sure the inlet pressure is staying at at least the minimum input pressure...I recommend installing a gauge right at the inlet fitting to monitor pressure while the air is flowing at the torch. Often the pressure can drop here (if your compressor cannot maintain adequate pressure....or if your inlet hose is too small of diameter or too long).

-If your plasma is a bit underpowered for the material thickness being cut....especially if you have to pierce.....try edge starting and moving very slowly if that is an option. If you must pierce material thicker than the plasma is rated for....tip the torch at an angle (to make the molten metal bounce off at an angle...so consumables are not damaged) and slowly tip the toch up to perpendicular as the arc penetrates deeper. If you simply do not have enough power (amps/killowatts)....then the plasma power source is not large enough fro the job.

-The wire guide standoff device holds the torch at an extended distance from the material. If you remove it and can hold the standoff height at about 1/8" without touching the nozzle (also known as a tip) to the plate....you will have more cutting power. Unfortunately with that torch design...you should not touch the nozzle to the plate like you can with a shielded torch design.

-I'm not completely familiar with your plasma...but if it has different input voltage levels....such as 120 or 240 volt....run it on 240 volts, it will have more available cutting power for thicker material.

-The nozzle in your pictures is definitely trashed. It is fairly normal for the design of your plasma torch to provide consumable life in the range of 30 to 60 minutes...or about 100 to 200 torch starts. Fortunately the nozzles are of a simple design, and are fairly low cost.

With the right plasma and power level you can do that job easily. remember there are plasma torches that are designed to drag directly on the material (for up to 2" cutting at up to 200 amps) and there are a wide range of plasma systems that can easily blow through the material thicknesses you need, and can provide days....not minutes in terms of consumable parts life. Sounds like your system is a bit underpowered for the job.

Jim Colt

/ Longevity Plasma use - Need feedback #10  
from personal experience, 95% of new plasma cutter owners that are unhappy with performance... can be traced to wet air supply.

MOTM60.jpg

is popular on the welding forums for a quality air dryer specifically for the plasma cart.

you can youtube various techniques for severance style of "cutting" with the plasma. acts much more like a gas torch than a standard plasma cutter. by reducing the nozzel air pressue you can avoid some of the blow back splatter that accumulates on the nozzel tip thus extending the life of some of the consumables.