Cast Iron repair, my education!

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
On another tractor forum I belong to the discussion of cast iron repair came up. I ask one of the members there who owns a machine shop, and does a lot of cast iron repair if he would post his technique. Later he replied, and wanted me to email him my telephone number so we could talk welding and cast iron repair. Boy what an education he gave me! I asked him if he would mind me posting his web site here. He also had me look up this other website.
Just thought I'd pass all this along.

Under the picture of George's shop is a link, Many more photos, click on that link!
4437 Prospect Rd ,Whiteford ,Md 21160

Cast Iron Welding

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #2  
Wow! Much more to it than I ever thought...

Always been told pre heat weld post heat.

Thanks for sharing

/ Cast Iron repair, my education!
Boy did I get an education! I thought I had a clue, come to find out I was clue less.:eek:
Here are a couple pictures I snagged off his website that I thought were very interesting.

Attachments

• Cast iron rod.jpg
    Cast iron rod.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Cast iron spray torch.jpg
    Cast iron spray torch.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 467
   / Cast Iron repair, my education! #4  
Yea, we learned about that back in automotive tech school. They called it spray powder welding. That was the preferred method for fixing cracks in cylinder heads and blocks. Neat stuff:thumbsup:

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #5  
Looks like 'a labor of love'.. people are amazing. Suppose that new coal bin is for the process, for heating the shop, or both?

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #6  
I like the quote: "Cast iron will obey the laws of physics, even if you don't know them."

/ Cast Iron repair, my education!
Yea, we learned about that back in automotive tech school. They called it spray powder welding. That was the preferred method for fixing cracks in cylinder heads and blocks. Neat stuff:thumbsup:
I'm pretty sure that is what yomax4 does. I've never seen a spray power torch.

I like the quote: "Cast iron will obey the laws of physics, even if you don't know them."
I got a kick out of that too! :laughing:

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #8  
I think we all know that there is the right way and the "I need it now way" and for speaking only for myself I have found that whatever I have to repair whatever I need fixed is the way it has to be. Then again I'm not the owner of alot of big equipment that needs high dollar repairs. Ya'll know what I am saying? I will repair things for myself that I won't repair for the public. I have mig welded cast iron skillets for myself going through a heat treatment of my own thinking and still useing the skillet. I also have some weld rod developed for rod-iron railings and such that won't work on a skillet, lol, There are many that don't know the difference between cast iron and cast steel. Just thought I'd throw my cup of into the barrel that ya'll was discussing. Shield Arc, thanks for sharing that info, very interesting. Now I'm back to looking for a set of front rims for this JD 655, I have alot of work repairing these if I can't find a set. A good day to all.

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #9  
My limited experience welding castings has been good.
1) V-groove, drill holes at ends of any cracks.
2) Preheat, Ni weld only an inch or less, peen gently and then cool slowly.
3) Repeat #2 until complete.

I have 2 cast wood stoves to practice on in the near future.
They both have cracks and are headed to the junk yard (err ... reclamation center) if I can't fix them.
I'd like to get one air tight for sugaring this Spring.

/ Cast Iron repair, my education! #10  
I have 2 cast wood stoves to practice on in the near future.
They both have cracks and are headed to the junk yard (err ... reclamation center) if I can't fix them.
I'd like to get one air tight for sugaring this Spring.

start with practicing your brazing, i was amazed at how good a joint a properly groved and brazed piece of cast will turn out.