Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video)

/ Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodevening everyone :)

So, a little while back I picked up this broken in two Chas Parker vise from a local scrap aka "salvage steel" yard and brought it home for a whopping $20. I know, I know, looks like I paid $19 too much but I really wanted to try my hand at welding cast.

I got it home and took a look at it, and discovered my first problem... I'm a cheapskate. Spend $23 on a pack of electrodes for a $20 vise? Naaaa, I'll just use some of this here 3/32" Hobart 7018 thats been sitting in the open air since last may. I fired up my nice little StickWeld 250, set it to 86 amps DCEP (intentionally ran kinda cold) and away I went!

Okay, truth be told the special electrodes weren't going to break me if I shelled out for them, but the main thing is I really wanted to try my hand at welding Cast Iron with 7018. Back in high school, our old teacher gave us an old handout on the electrode before we ran it in the lab, and that handout said that 7018 can be used to weld certain kinds of cast.

So, if anyone's wondering why I'd ever try this... Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it! :gunsfirin

All I did was beveled the joint, and tacked it up. It welded like crap but the tacks held. Next stop was the BBQ, then the welding bench. The video tells the story better than I can:

Long story short... I can't believe it held! I put a cheater bar on the handle, and it still held!

Im pretty happy, and I thrilled with my $21 vise lol. Im gonna paint it up and use it.

Hope you guys enjoy the video, happy welding everyone :drinkup:

/ Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video)
Annnnnd, some pictures:

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2229-1.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

/ Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #3  
I wonder if that vice doesn't fall more into the cast steel category, than cast iron. :confused3:

/ Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #4  
Shield Arc said:
I wonder if that vice doesn't fall more into the cast steel category, than cast iron. :confused3:

that's what i was thinking.
if he has a tig welder(i think he does), he could light up on a corner some where, just for a second. Then take a file to that spot. The rapid cooldown will leave a hard spot if it has a lot of carbon.

/ Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #5  

+1

Sure turned out nice if it was cast IRON.

Like the video too:D

Last edited:
   / Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #6  
How to tell if it's cast iron or cast steel. Arc weld on it a little bit without a preheat and see if it cracks!

That's what we call destructive testing.

You're welcome! :cool2:

/ Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #7  
The way I tell cast iron from cast steel is to use the spark test.Cast iron will have red sparks,cast steel will have orange sparks.Not a 100% test but it is quite accurate.Hard to tell from the video but it looks like it is probably cast steel.

Last edited:
   / Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video) #8  
I am not a professional welder by any means but was able to weld a grey cast iron drill press base by heating in a charcoal grill and using cast iron welding rods...
The base was broken clean in two...
I beveled the bottom of the base and clamped it up and then heated the heck out of it...
After I welded it I placed sand over top of the base while it was still in the grill and let it cool over a 2 day period...
Now granted the weld does not great...
I welded it on the bottom side of the crack so the view from the top side still shows the crack all around the base...
But, the darn thing is holding very well...
I guess that if you can preheat and then cool slowly cast iron can be welded...
Well, I was successful anyway...