Silver Member

Default Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45

Morning everyone!!

So, I've had this plasma cutter since I bought it new in the summer of 2011, and let me tell you, I love it. Its been very good to me, never had any problems with it, cuts great, etc...

But, I've always wondered how thick it can REALLY cut, and I decided I'd do a severance test with it when I bought it, and now a year and a half later, Im actually doing it

I had some plate laying around in increments of 1/8" all the way up to 1 1/2" steel... I didnt think I'd need the 1.5" because Hypertherm says the plasma is recommended to cut 1/2" plate and the maximum severance is supposedly 1", but I was wrong. This picture is of a cut on 1 1/4" plate:

I was pretty impressed... The video tells the story better than I can. Hope y'all like it, was pretty fun to make

Anyway, have a nice week everyone

Platinum Member

i have it's little brother the powermax30, and i too get better preformance than what it claimed it would do. And very long consumable life too.
    Dan H.

J_J
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Default Re: Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45

Very impressive. Nice video.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 580B, Long 460, Allis-Chalmers 160

I've had my Powermax 45 about 6 months, and already it'd be a tough call whether that or "something else" would have to be "pried out of my cold, dead hands"... Steve

Tractor
    Mahindra 5530 4wd

Thank you for doing this. I have been kicking around getting a plasma cutter. I kept hearing how good the hypertherm45 is, but this actually shows it.

Lee

Long road home

Mahindra 5530 w/ FEL, Bushhog 286 cutter, 8' disc, 2 bottom plow, pallet forks, 22' American trailer, geotextile carrier, PHD w/ 12" auger, tooth bar, landscape rake, trailer hitch, broadcast spreader, toolbar, cultipacker, grain drill, and more to come!

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckE2009
    Morning everyone!!

So, I've had this plasma cutter since I bought it new in the summer of 2011, and let me tell you, I love it. Its been very good to me, never had any problems with it, cuts great, etc...

But, I've always wondered how thick it can REALLY cut, and I decided I'd do a severance test with it when I bought it, and now a year and a half later, Im actually doing it

I had some plate laying around in increments of 1/8" all the way up to 1 1/2" steel... I didnt think I'd need the 1.5" because Hypertherm says the plasma is recommended to cut 1/2" plate and the maximum severance is supposedly 1", but I was wrong. This picture is of a cut on 1 1/4" plate:

I was pretty impressed... The video tells the story better than I can. Hope y'all like it, was pretty fun to make

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf6LnpCJ52M

Anyway, have a nice week everyone
    Very informative video!

Any chance you could borrow a Miller Spectrum Xtrem 625 and do the same test?

Debating between these 2

Miller being attractive for MVP
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Silver Member

Glad y'all like it...

ENG: You're welcome!! I debated on buying this machine, and now I'm really glad I did... I'd highly recommend it.

ERicher: I really like my Hypertherm... IDK anyone with a Miller plasma... If I did, I'd see what I can put together...

Gold Member
    Tractor
    08 Cub Ex3200

Kinda cool to see the cut. To me it actually shows you were the cut started to get a bit weak. I have the same one and so far its been good to me too.