Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Morning everyone!!

So, I've had this plasma cutter since I bought it new in the summer of 2011, and let me tell you, I love it. Its been very good to me, never had any problems with it, cuts great, etc...

But, I've always wondered how thick it can REALLY cut, and I decided I'd do a severance test with it when I bought it, and now a year and a half later, Im actually doing it

I had some plate laying around in increments of 1/8" all the way up to 1 1/2" steel... I didnt think I'd need the 1.5" because Hypertherm says the plasma is recommended to cut 1/2" plate and the maximum severance is supposedly 1", but I was wrong. This picture is of a cut on 1 1/4" plate:

IMG_2273.jpg

I was pretty impressed... The video tells the story better than I can. Hope y'all like it, was pretty fun to make ;)

Anyway, have a nice week everyone :cool:

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #2  
i have it's little brother the powermax30, and i too get better preformance than what it claimed it would do. And very long consumable life too.

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #3  
Very impressive. Nice video.

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #4  
I've had my Powermax 45 about 6 months, and already it'd be a tough call whether that or "something else" ;) would have to be "pried out of my cold, dead hands"... Steve

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #5  
Thank you for doing this. I have been kicking around getting a plasma cutter. I kept hearing how good the hypertherm45 is, but this actually shows it.

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #6  
ChuckE2009 said:
Morning everyone!!

So, I've had this plasma cutter since I bought it new in the summer of 2011, and let me tell you, I love it. Its been very good to me, never had any problems with it, cuts great, etc...

But, I've always wondered how thick it can REALLY cut, and I decided I'd do a severance test with it when I bought it, and now a year and a half later, Im actually doing it

I had some plate laying around in increments of 1/8" all the way up to 1 1/2" steel... I didnt think I'd need the 1.5" because Hypertherm says the plasma is recommended to cut 1/2" plate and the maximum severance is supposedly 1", but I was wrong. This picture is of a cut on 1 1/4" plate:

I was pretty impressed... The video tells the story better than I can. Hope y'all like it, was pretty fun to make ;)

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf6LnpCJ52M

Anyway, have a nice week everyone :cool:

Very informative video!

Any chance you could borrow a Miller Spectrum Xtrem 625 and do the same test?

Debating between these 2

Miller being attractive for MVP

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45
Glad y'all like it...

ENG: You're welcome!! I debated on buying this machine, and now I'm really glad I did... I'd highly recommend it.

ERicher: I really like my Hypertherm... IDK anyone with a Miller plasma... If I did, I'd see what I can put together...

/ Severance Cutting Test with my PowerMax 45 #8  
Kinda cool to see the cut. To me it actually shows you were the cut started to get a bit weak. I have the same one and so far its been good to me too.