OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
All it needs he says in a lead and gun....otherwise works good....so a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 - I have looked and looked and so far this one caught my eye since I have heard Millers were good....What do you guys think....PS ...I don't know how to weld but intend to learn....Thanks

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #2  
Sounds like you can't check it out Bob, I'd keep looking.

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00
Sounds like you can't check it out Bob, I'd keep looking.

OK - Thanks Jake....that makes sense...I sure would not want to buy a gun etc. and find it does not work...I just needed to hear that...I thought there may have been another way to verify if it works....

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #4  
I own a Millermatic 185
Bought it in 1997
I think it is a very good welder.
There have been some good improvements to the Miller line since then, but a 185 is an above average decent welder when comparing it to entry level welders today that you will find at most big box stores.
The largest improvment made lately is the drive roll feed .
The 185 has a single drive roll with a pinch roller bearing to feed wire.
You adjust the bearing spring tension until there is no slip in the feed.
occasionally you need to wash out the feed gun liner with some brake parts cleaner and compressed air.
this will lengthen the life of the liner in the gun.
The liner is replacable too.
A small cloth with some wire lube pinched around the wire will help keep the liner from wearing and wire sticking.
Newer models have 2 drive rolls and the rolls are positioned at a better angle so there is not as much friction for the wire being fed into the gun lead.
Less drag on the wire as it is fed.
Newer models may also have an auto match feed/amperage setting for the thickness of metal you are welding.
The 185 has 6 heat settings & infinite speed control.
Experience playing with the welder and a setting chart inside the cover will help you learn how to match the feed and voltage setting. You will learn quick and will learn to adjust by the sound of the welder.
You can set your mix tank on this model without the need for a cart to move welder and tank.
It will also accomadate larger 33# rolls of wire.
I am going to upgrade my feed roller from a smooth roller to a knurled roller for better grip on the wire.
$29.00 for a new knurled roller.
I do get slippage occasionally with the smaller diameter wire & with the smooth drive roller, my liner probably needs to be replaced too.
$200 is a good price, but it would be nice to see it weld.
new diodes probably run $80 to $90 if they are bad.
no idea on the price of a new m-15 gun lead, cooling fan, drive motor or soleniod gas valve
You could see if they will purchase the gun so you can try it.
You will pay for the gun with the welder working on top of the $200.
View attachment 291962View attachment 291963View attachment 291964View attachment 291965View attachment 291966View attachment 291967View attachment 291968View attachment 291969

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #5  
Great machine, I have been abusing one for years with no problems. hope it works out for you! Wow, that is cheap!

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00
Great machine, I have been abusing one for years with no problems. hope it works out for you! Wow, that is cheap!

But like Jake pointed out...I can't try it out since it does not come with a gun...So I would have to buy a gun without knowing if it really worked...I did not realize I needed some gas cylinder with it....Do you have to use gas with this welder ?

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #7  
Not if you use flux cored wire.
I you use solid wire then you need a shielding gas.

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #8  
A jumper wire should activate the feed motor and you should hear the gas valve click open.
A stick welder electrode holder wired to the posative tap should let you run an arc with a welding rod.
Just a thought

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #9  
It's a tough call, if the guy's telling the truth it's a good deal. Do you know a weldor that would help you look it over?

/ OKk - I have found a Millermatic 185 for $200.00 #10  
Any pics of the machine? If the guy is local to you maybe he would go with you to your lws and have it checked. Just a thought. Rough call. Thats is a great deal, if its in good shape. Did you ask where the gun went?