Stretch's Scratch Start TIG Rig (Video)

/ Stretch's Scratch Start TIG Rig (Video) #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodafternoon everyone!!

So, as y'all know, a few weeks back I got a new StickWeld 250 from Longevity... Its a little DC inverter welder, somewhat similar to Shield Arc's PowerArc 200...

Anyway, I always wondered what it'd be like to run scratch-start tig off it, and the other day my buddy Wes stopped by, so we setup my tig rig and decided to try it out. I'd used it a lot on my Hobart Stickmate, a transformer type machine but I'd never run it off an inverter.

It sure has a different arc to it than the Stickmate, but it still runs very well to say the least. Its nice and smooth, and for a change the torch will heat up before the welder will!!

Okay, if I were going to use this on a project, I'd crank up the arc force some more, while tigging, the arc just felt too "soft" compared to what I'm used to, but it sure was fun to play with, and we made a video about it. I'm still pretty new to the whole inverter thing, so I need a little more practice setting the knobs on it, but I like having a machine with an arc thats so controllable.

I've had a few people ask me about the tig rig, and I tried to explain each individual piece in the video, just showing it off some. I tried to make the video I would have liked to see when I first got into TIG, so I hope you guys enjoy it :cool:

Hope y'all are having a good week :)

/ Stretch's Scratch Start TIG Rig (Video) #2  
The Arc Force will only help you on stick. Tig welding is a fun alternative to any kind of welding.