Controlling Warpage when Welding

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodmorning everyone!!

Well, I've been pretty busy here lately, I havent gotten to spend as much time out in the shop as I'd like to...

Anyway, over the past couple years I've picked up a few ideas about dealing with welding related warpage here on the internet, from both schools I've attended, and from my own personal, but limited, fabrication experience....

One night, I decided to make a video about the subject, and this is what I put together...

I told myself, "I want to make the video I would have liked to seen when I started building things" and this is what I came up with.

Just wanted to share, hopefully it helps someone out:

Have a nice week, everyone!! :cool:

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #2  
Great video, great explanations and pointers. I have been welding for 30 years and have learned something today. Thank You.

I have straightened some large trailer "truss" sides I manufactured by using a torch. The sides warped even though there was little welding done on the web connection portion of the truss frame. A little carefull application of heat from the torch and pulled everything back to nearly perfectly straight. I hope you keep up with your videos because you do an excellent job. Your welding instructors should be proud.

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #3  
Very good, I really enjoyed the video.. Who says a 58 year old guy can't learn something from a 19 year old.? Thanks again, and keep 'em coming:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #4  
An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure! ;)

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #5  
When are you going to do a video on heat shrinking? :cool2:

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding
Great video, great explanations and pointers. I have been welding for 30 years and have learned something today. Thank You.

I have straightened some large trailer "truss" sides I manufactured by using a torch. The sides warped even though there was little welding done on the web connection portion of the truss frame. A little carefull application of heat from the torch and pulled everything back to nearly perfectly straight. I hope you keep up with your videos because you do an excellent job. Your welding instructors should be proud.

I'm here to serve :D

Thanks man :)

Very good, I really enjoyed the video.. Who says a 58 year old guy can't learn something from a 19 year old.? Thanks again, and keep 'em coming:thumbsup:

James K0UA

Haha, glad you liked it :cool:

When are you going to do a video on heat shrinking? :cool2:

When I get good at it, lol!! I've read up on it, but I've never really practiced it :eek:

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #7  
When I get good at it, lol!! I've read up on it, but I've never really practiced it :eek:
The best way to learn is to do it with projects. I got stuck building 200 of these one time. Can you believe it was written in the specs to have the legs no more than 1/16-inch out?!:rolleyes: I'm sure you know square tube is very reactive to heat. Every one of these I had to heat shrink back on dimensions.

Attachments

• Bus shelter.jpg
    Bus shelter.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 187
   / Controlling Warpage when Welding #8  

Every time you have welded you have praticed but only in the bad kind of way. Take a heavy piece of steel and heat a pie shaped portion red hot and then let it cool...

/ Controlling Warpage when Welding #9  
For small objects I like to use a spray bottle of water. Large beams I'll use a water hose.

Attachments

• H-Beam 2 Strong.JPG
    H-Beam 2 Strong.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 141
  • H-Beam bow.JPG
    H-Beam bow.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 139
  • H-Beam weak.JPG
    H-Beam weak.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 142