I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #161  
Nope, we are empty Nester's. :)))))))))))
We are too. But I have 3-grandsons that live about 200-feet through the woods from me, go ahead just try getting them to put down the video games and get off the couch!:duh:

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #162  
You could always run to ... and buy a roll of flux core....

Great advice on the fluxcore as you will want to keep some of that handy anyways in case you need to weld outside in windy conditions. (note: remember to switch your welder polarity when using fluxcore). I run fluxcore exclusively now as I always weld outside. Transferred my unused mig bottle and regulator to a budget tig rig build.

I prefer Hobart Fabshield 21B (or E71T-11) the best. It is available in 2 lb spools for not much more than the Lincoln 1 lb spools. (Best news is that it is suitable for multiple pass welding). Best place to find it is TSC or Rural King and it usually costs $19.99 for a 2lb spool.

Product Details - Hobart Brothers Performance Welding Products

TSC or Rural King might have any spool adaptors that you might need as well.

On the other hand: I do not care for Hobart Fabshield 23 (or E71T-GS). Everywhere seems to carry E71T-GS over E71T-11 as it is slightly cheaper so read packages carefully. (The main reason that I do not like the E71T-GS it is that it is NOT suitable for multiple pass welding so not worth a dollar or two savings to me).

Product Details - Hobart Brothers Performance Welding Products

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #163  
I've never taken a test with NR-211. I have been told you can not pass a bend test with the original NR-211, don't know about the later version NR-211MP. I have taken numerous 1-inch side bend tests with 21-B, never failed a one. Several of them I have no idea why I didn't fail:confused3:. 21-B is an amazing wire. Works really well on galvanized material too.
Here is a picture of some 1/16-inch 21-B.

Attachments

• 21B.JPG
    21B.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 142
   / I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #164  
...21-B is an amazing wire. Works really well on galvanized material too...

I have not taken any formal bend tests but I believe the Hobart E71T-GS (Fab 23) to be more brittle as well over the Hobart E71T-11 (Fab21B). Probably another reason that I do not like it as well. I do know the very last Fab 23 that I purchased did not do well on a multiple pass build up project and I vowed to never buy any again as the weld looked burnt and full of oxides so I would guess more brittle although it never failed. (At that time I did not yet realize Fab23 was not suitable for multiple pass until I researched/read).

I really do like the Fab21B (E71T-11) as it helps give my little 115 volt feeder a slight power boost over regular mig mode and being suitable for multiple pass which is a definite must on a 115 volt wire feeder IMOP. I always weld outside so win and win situation for me - and my welder is even more portable without a bottle in tote so yet another bonus win too.

My local LWS has promised to start carrying the FAB 21B as all they formerly carried was the FAB 23. I have not been back yet to see if they followed through yet though. I am hoping they do though because LWS usually has even better price than TSC or Rural King on welding consumables so my price per pound would go down if I can purchase at LWS.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #165  
I've never taken a test with NR-211. I have been told you can not pass a bend test with the original NR-211, don't know about the later version NR-211MP. I have taken numerous 1-inch side bend tests with 21-B, never failed a one. Several of them I have no idea why I didn't fail:confused3:. 21-B is an amazing wire. Works really well on galvanized material too.
Here is a picture of some 1/16-inch 21-B.

I am told that the NR211(MP)
is simply a Moisture Preventitive. Not sure but hear it a lot.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.
Well, I got my eBay HTP flow meter Wednesday, I got my Esab .035 wire last Saturday.
I will be welding this Saturday, going to build me a welding cart:)

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #167  
Well, I got my eBay HTP flow meter Wednesday, I got my Esab .035 wire last Saturday.
I will be welding this Saturday, going to build me a welding cart:)

Mark,
Please post up your thoughts. We, in fact, are upgrading our regulators to a style very similar to the HTP in the next few monthhs. It costs us more but it will be worth it not to have the possibility (or greatly reduce it) of this happening again. Overall the regulators were good, but as they say...a few bad apples...I will still send you another regulator if you decide you want it.

Mark, I still don't need another one.
I would like to send you the one I got with the welder,
then you can try and see what is causing the leak.
I took it apart for the 3rd time, cleaned any thing I could clean
and it still leaked.
The HTP flow meter was only 37 bucks, and that was 9% Illinois tax and
free shipping.
It is very robust/well built, I was very surprised.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #169  
I am told that the NR211(MP)
is simply a Moisture Preventitive. Not sure but hear it a lot.
Never heard that before! I was told it stands for Multiple Passes. :confused3:

Mark, can you please call me, the welder is not right what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.