I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #11  
"Proven U.S. Machine " , Used ??? First Problem is NO Warranty !! Second , Its USED !! Spending that kind of money on someone else's possible " headache " would be a waste of money . If you are talking a used tombstone welder that is one thing , but A Mig welder , not me . No matter how shiny or clean it is , you have no idea on how it has been treated or used . Your machine came from someone you knew , so would you burn that amount of money on the same welder from someone you did not know or have any idea on how the welder was used ? I guess being a self employed person , I am very leary of " Used " items , especially anything that has electricity going through it . Again though , Why buy used with No Warranty When for likely less that you could buy a used " U.S. " ASSEMBLED ( Not MADE , just Assembled ) unit , You can buy New with a 5 year Warranty ?

To Each their Own .

Fred H.

P.S. 211 is a dual voltage machine likely cheapest around $1100 . I have nothing against U.S. Companies , But any more This " Made in The U.S. " is used Way , Way to much or in many cases is false advertising . " Assembled " in the U.S. is a Far more Accurate Statement .

So why would you buy a used stick welder but not MIG?

Yes, if I got to test it before buying, I'd have no problem buying used. I like to (and can) fix things myself, so I guess warranties don't mean a whole lot to me, especially if I get to buy 1/2 of new price. I have never owned a brand new welder, from tombstones to my Millermatic. Guess I've gotten lucky?

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #12  
The Longevity Brand I listed . Any of the major brands from Miller , Lincoln , Hobart , Thermal Arc , are going to set you back more than what you are willing to spend or you are going to only spend your $1000 and get less of a welder that You could get from Mark at Everlast or Simon at Longevity .

Fred H.

Buckgnarly : The Used Stick welders like the Tombstones are Transformer Based , Alot less things to go wrong and also ALOT less money involved seeing as a New one is $299 for a AC unit While a AC/DC unit is $387 . I am not , REPEAT Not , picking on or arguing Guys , I guess like I mentioned , Being Self employed , I just try to get the most Bang for every dollar . So if that means buying a Import Brand , at less than a good " Used " name brand And getting a 5 year Warranty is the answer , So be it .

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #13  
Everyone has their price range and have to draw the line somewhere. nothing for a grand would work for me but it works for many. Otherwise there would be no market for smaller inexpensive machines. Just because a New Harbor Freight Mig machine has a better warranty than a used Lincoln 255 does not make it a better buy.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #14  
Millermatic 180 Autoset . $850
80CF tank $240
Auto darkening helmet $40

About $1k right there.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.
Well, the Miller 211 welds 3/8 inch steel, that would be the thickest I would probably need to weld.
The 211 sells for $975ish
Why would this welder not do it for me?
Dennis, I have a 300 buck auto darkening helmet.
Does a person have to buy the tank?

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #17  
Well, the Miller 211 welds 3/8 inch steel, that would be the thickest I would probably need to weld.
The 211 sells for $975ish
Why would this welder not do it for me?
Dennis, I have a 300 buck auto darkening helmet.
Does a person have to buy the tank?

It would do it for you, as would the 180.

You can rent the tank but best to bite the bullet and buy one, then you can take it anywhere for refill.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #18  
Marcuda, tanks are cheaper in some places than others. I got a 125cu ft. for $210 filled with Argon (not what you need for MIG, you need 75% Argon 25% CO2). some places(Canada) you cannot buy large tanks. etc.. the rules vary by region, but you can rent, but I chose to buy. Be careful on buying tanks. Some unscrupulous people sell rental tanks that they don't own.. NOT good.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #19  
Go to a welding forum such as weldingweb.com, and look up Millermatic 200. You will find that NOBODY can say anything bad about that welder or the Miller company. Many people believe that the 200 was the best welder that Miller ever made. 200 amps is the output at 60 percent duty. Crank it wide open and it will put out 250. All copper windings, parts still available, and it's American made. They sell for 700 to 1000 on Craigslist. If you see one, you better act fast, because their usually sold the very next day.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.
you need 75% Argon 25%
Where I work, we run 90%-10% on the gas.
I'm not needing a welder that is American made, I just want a very nice one.
I would also like to buy local, at my work place, we deal with ILMO welding.
I will call them and see what their prices are.

Status
Not open for further replies.