I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #1  

Markcuda

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 X754,54 inch HC deck.
I want a MIG welder.
I will weld 99% solid wire,so don't need flux core.
I want 220, not 110
I may make my own welder cart, so that ain't a deal breaker.
3/8 thick steel may be the thickest I will weld.
1/4 inch will be more common.
What do I need? a grand is my budget, can it happen?

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #2  
While I don't own any of these , both companies are sponsors here :

Everlast :

Mig, Tig , Stick unit
Everlast Powermts 200S Synergic MIG TIG Stick 200A Welder 211i 181i | eBay

Mig , Stick unit that I am also looking at :
Everlast Powermig 205 200Amp MIG Stick Welder 200A 200Amp One Week Sale | eBay

Longevity :

Mig , Tig , Stick unit

Longevity Promts 200 MIG TIG Stick Welder Fabricator 181i 211i 200 Amp Welding | eBay

Mig / Stick unit :

MGWELD 200S

Another Mig , stick unit with pulse mig :

ArcMate 205P | IGBT 200AMP PULSE MIG WELDER WITH SPOOL GUN CAPABILITY AND 160AMP STICK WELDER

I have also look seriously at the Longevity 205 , but now in looking at their site , may lean more towards the 200S , which is the 2nd Longevity link . Heck at $600 , that leaves you $400 for something else and with 60% duty cycle at 180 amps Stick / 60% duty cycle at 200 amps Mig , thats better than my brothers Miller 212 or a Lincoln 216 .

Fred H.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it.
I have been reading about Everlast for the last 1/2 hour now.
I like what I see.
Thank you also for the posted info.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #4  
I would look at clean used 250 amp units. You can't go by the number on the front of the machine..ie: miller 211. tag says max output 150 amps. Check this out on what ever you buy. Good luck..

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #5  
The everlast units above max out at the numbers they are rated.

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #6  
Used Miller, Lincoln, Hobart no question. 1,000 can get you a LONG way on a proven, used US machine!:thumbsup:
I own a Millermatic 210, Hobart Handler 175, and Miller Thunderbolt XL.

The Millermatic 210 will burn 3/8 all day, I've done 1/2 EASILY with one pass. Customer service was GREAT too. Had to replace a switch and the guy on the line stayed on with me troubleshooting until I made 100% the $75 part was what I needed. The machine actually came from a friend of mine who owns a Jeep fab shop, it had seen 5 years of constant use before needing the switch.

Watch Craigslist, you can find great deals on used machines.

I was just on Youtube looking at some videos on the Miller 211 Auto Set.
Very nice, it is on my short list.
I weld 8 hours a day, with .045 wire, so I know what I'm doing.
Mark, where are your Everlast welders made?

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #8  
"Proven U.S. Machine " , Used ??? First Problem is NO Warranty !! Second , Its USED !! Spending that kind of money on someone else's possible " headache " would be a waste of money . If you are talking a used tombstone welder that is one thing , but A Mig welder , not me . No matter how shiny or clean it is , you have no idea on how it has been treated or used . Your machine came from someone you knew , so would you burn that amount of money on the same welder from someone you did not know or have any idea on how the welder was used ? I guess being a self employed person , I am very leary of " Used " items , especially anything that has electricity going through it . Again though , Why buy used with No Warranty When for likely less that you could buy a used " U.S. " ASSEMBLED ( Not MADE , just Assembled ) unit , You can buy New with a 5 year Warranty ?

To Each their Own .

Fred H.

P.S. 211 is a dual voltage machine likely cheapest around $1100 . I have nothing against U.S. Companies , But any more This " Made in The U.S. " is used Way , Way to much or in many cases is false advertising . " Assembled " in the U.S. is a Far more Accurate Statement .

/ I got $1,000 to spend on a welder, help me spend it. #9  
Everlast is made in China along with "other" name brands.

So far, I am buying new, till some great deal on a used one pops up, like free ;)
Mark, can you name a few "other" welders?

Status
Not open for further replies.