Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #21  
Still, I'd like to see a picture of it. Not sure exactly where you are referring to.

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #22  
Mark
I also noticed you have a multi process tig machine PowerPro 256 very similar price wise and function wise as the PowerTig 250EX
I understand the 256 has capability of Plasma cutting
As far as tig welding Features and not so much amperage or thickness capabilities
Would the 256 be a Better unit? and does it come with the USA premium foot pedal?
The USA foot pedal alone will bring them to the same price.
What is your opinion on the 2 machines.
Tom

Tom:
We have some like minded thinking.
I have been wanting to change out what I have and get into some additional capabilities for my home shop. The Everlast seems to be the way I am thinking as of right now. Some personal wants are: Water cooled torch , AC DC, High Frequency, at least 200 amps , Single phase, compact torch, etc . Was looking at the PP 256 also as liked the Plasma option. The only thing that pauses me is the fact that if one buggers out then would be out of 2 machines if theirs an issue. Seems minor but ???
So with what I am looking to do am, thinking about.
250 ex
225lx
w300 cooler
PP256
Really want a plasma so the 256 has been my latest thought. If I add up the 250ex, w300 cooler and a plasma on side it is to much money right now. Will have to hold off on plasma.
Oh to win the Lottery ;-)
Mark: I will be calling you after we get the New York tax Bill paid. Those who live in NYS know what I mean. Whats the deal with Amazon sales? Can you sell direct?
Your responses are most appreciated and have a direct effect on what purchases I would make.
Good luck Tom and Happy New Year to all
thank you
Luke

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list
Tom:
We have some like minded thinking.
I have been wanting to change out what I have and get into some additional capabilities for my home shop. The Everlast seems to be the way I am thinking as of right now. Some personal wants are: Water cooled torch , AC DC, High Frequency, at least 200 amps , Single phase, compact torch, etc . Was looking at the PP 256 also as liked the Plasma option. The only thing that pauses me is the fact that if one buggers out then would be out of 2 machines if theirs an issue. Seems minor but ???
So with what I am looking to do am, thinking about.
250 ex
225lx
w300 cooler
PP256
Really want a plasma so the 256 has been my latest thought. If I add up the 250ex, w300 cooler and a plasma on side it is to much money right now. Will have to hold off on plasma.
Oh to win the Lottery ;-)
Mark: I will be calling you after we get the New York tax Bill paid. Those who live in NYS know what I mean. Whats the deal with Amazon sales? Can you sell direct?
Your responses are most appreciated and have a direct effect on what purchases I would make.
Good luck Tom and Happy New Year to all
thank you
Luke

Luke
I received a note from Mark about my question.
here is a brief
a short answer to your question would be ...No. The 256 would not be better.
Separate units are better...in general.
The 256 is designed for portable repair.
You'd be better off with seperate units.
Trust me... The 250ex is the heavier duty better performing unit.

So I will be leaning twards the 250EX.
Maybe down the road I may want a plasma unit ????
Right now the focus is on a best bang for the buck tig unit.
I have other means of cutting and shaping metal that will get me by in most applications.
Tom

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #24  
I hope to buy a new "big" ac dc tig in the near future, but my thought is not for the next 5 yrs but when I buy a tig I hope it will last 25 yr, in other words the rest of my working life. I have questions about the china units, and have to lean to the red blue side, even if I have to buy used.

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #25  
Their website has a ton of posts, lots of info, see Mark's signature. I have their separate units, plasma and tig, both work great. :thumbsup:

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #26  
In context of the conversation about the 256 vs the 250 EX...so there is no misunderstanding and more detail (as I was on my galaxy when I was writing the reply with my thumbs and trying to be brief). The mistake people make in buying a 256, or any all in one, is that this is the best thing since sliced bread. Well...yes, and no. It's a great solution for many people desiring/requiring an extreme level of portability, where it's an either/ or situation...I.E. On the trail. At the race. an install on some restaurant equipment. A spot repair in a factory. A service truck with a clean power genset. A hospital maintenance shop.
It's only 35% duty cycle at max amps. Yes, it does have a plasma, but the output or cutting capacity, rather, is not as great in reality as the individual unit of the same amperage. It is heavier, and features 2 inverters, one for the plasma, and one for the TIG (actually almost three...if you count the AC and DC parts of the TIG inverter). So a lot more parts are crammed into the same space as the individual unit of the same size, so in short, it is the same size as either the TIG or Plasma of the same output...but has more inside. So...more parts...less space, so you have to compromise somewhere to get a desired result. It's not a bad unit or anything like that. In fact this year features heavier construction than ever internally. But there are some other disadvantages to the all in one unit. You have to change your input gas lines when you want to swap processes, from compressed air to argon. There is only one IN gas line. There is also only one OUT gas line, which means you have to change out torches completely whenever you want to change processes. This is time consuming and not a good idea for fab projects or production welding. One obvious disadvantage, IF a unit were to have an issue and need to be repaired or sent back, you loose the use of all processes while it is sent out. Not so with individual units. The biggest problem I see is in guys getting the units, and then realizing they should have spent the little extra money to get separate units because the unit did not fit their needs or meet their performance expectations. It is not a machine designed for daily production welding...and we have had guys buy it for that. We've had guys buy them for CNC production plasma cutting too... :confused:

The very little difference in the cost of buying separate versus all in one is easily made up for in one days labor, which will pay for that difference. Also, I tell people that IF they are space conscious, don't worry, because our 50 amp plasma (more than 90% of people need) is the size of a woman's shoe box (or smaller)...and if they don't have room for a shoebox, then likely they need a bigger shop. LOL. :)

As I said, the 256 is a great unit when used in the proper context, the way they were meant to be used. But don't expect a ball pein hammer to do the job of a claw hammer. Each has it's reason for existence and when used properly both shine as excellent tools for the job.

Thanks Mark
Tom

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #28  
Ed, you will be sorely disappointed if you are looking for red, blue, or whatever to be made in the US...especially on equivalent equipment. Lincoln is made in Italy from many chinese components. Miller now admits to "assembled in USA". And for ESAB, no more US made...enter poland, china etc. Thermal arc is mostly chinese now as well.

Ed, you will be sorely disappointed if you are looking for red, blue, or whatever to be made in the US...especially on equivalent equipment. Lincoln is made in Italy from many chinese components. Miller now admits to "assembled in USA". And for ESAB, no more US made...enter poland, china etc. Thermal arc is mostly chinese now as well.

Miller does have a list of American made welders on the website.
Miller - Buy American Made - Buy Miller

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #30  
They are actually in the process of changing over all their labeling...to "Assembled in USA" That is not the same. I imagine when company lawyers find this page, they will nix it sooner or later.