Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #1  

BIG DOOLEY

Platinum Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE 2320
Thinking about buying a new tig welder early 2013
I want an AC/DC to have aluminum capability.
I have been wanting a tig welder with foot control for a long time.
I have had my eye on the Miller Syncrowave 200.
I have really been a die hard Miller fan.
When I saw the price of the Everlast powertig 250EX It sparked my intrest.
Has anyone purchased one yet?

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #2  
I picked one up back in 4/11 as I had a project to build a deck that was going to cost me 1500 in labor. So I put the $$$ towards the 250ex. I have not used any of the blue or red machines so I dont have much to compare to. I can say for the price its hard to beat but if you are going to depend on the machine for a living its going to be rough. I ordered the machine in April and was told I would have it in 2 weeks. A month later still no ETA, then 2 months later I wanted my money back but they said they were in customs and would be going out in the next day or two. A week later I called to find out that the machine was on the way and gave me a UPS tracking number...and I thought all was good till I ran the number and found out you can create the label but that doesnt mean the package had shipped. I called back the next day and they offered to overnight it. Once the machine showed up I tested it out and seemed to work fine. Then loading it on the cart I could hear a part rattling around so I opened the case and found a chip had broken off the board. I found where it came off from and so I called support. They said it was fine as it was just an extra part....that this is normal they add extra chips and then test and clip off the chips that are not needed. Not happy with that I called the owner and he had me talk with there repair guy. We tracked it down to a bank of filter caps and while its not needed to work, its not filtering the current. So he sent me out a few replacement chips that I was able to solder back on and I was back up and running. I was then able to build my deck and quite a few other projects. 9 months go by and I need to weld up a few cracks on my jon boat and I set up the 250 and dial up the right settings. Then as soon as I step on the petal I had the hottest arc this machine had ever put out and the display was ready 850amps...its only a 250 amp machine. So called support and they knew of the problem turns out that had been a bad batch of chips. They sent me another new chip to solder on but this time things did not go as well. I solder on the new chip but now I go now arc at all. Seems the bad chip was not the only problem, called back and they wanted me to pick up the shipping to send the unit back to get fixed. Keep in mind that the machine is like 75 pounds. After a few calls they picked up shipping so I sent the machine back. The ETA was 2 weeks, and they come and go still no machine. So I call back and they had a back log due to the repair shop moving from CA to MN. Another 2 weeks go by and I call back to see whats up they owner was going to track down my machine and get it back to me ASAP. 2 days later I get a tracking number that shows the machine is on it way back. I unbox it and find I got a replacement machine, the only problem was the display was kinda messed up looks like it was melted at some point, but the machine did work so I left things along. So its not the most dependable machine, but you get what you pay for and I still fell I came out ahead at this point

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list
I picked one up back in 4/11 as I had a project to build a deck that was going to cost me 1500 in labor. So I put the $$$ towards the 250ex. I have not used any of the blue or red machines so I dont have much to compare to. I can say for the price its hard to beat but if you are going to depend on the machine for a living its going to be rough. I ordered the machine in April and was told I would have it in 2 weeks. A month later still no ETA, then 2 months later I wanted my money back but they said they were in customs and would be going out in the next day or two. A week later I called to find out that the machine was on the way and gave me a UPS tracking number...and I thought all was good till I ran the number and found out you can create the label but that doesnt mean the package had shipped. I called back the next day and they offered to overnight it. Once the machine showed up I tested it out and seemed to work fine. Then loading it on the cart I could hear a part rattling around so I opened the case and found a chip had broken off the board. I found where it came off from and so I called support. They said it was fine as it was just an extra part....that this is normal they add extra chips and then test and clip off the chips that are not needed. Not happy with that I called the owner and he had me talk with there repair guy. We tracked it down to a bank of filter caps and while its not needed to work, its not filtering the current. So he sent me out a few replacement chips that I was able to solder back on and I was back up and running. I was then able to build my deck and quite a few other projects. 9 months go by and I need to weld up a few cracks on my jon boat and I set up the 250 and dial up the right settings. Then as soon as I step on the petal I had the hottest arc this machine had ever put out and the display was ready 850amps...its only a 250 amp machine. So called support and they knew of the problem turns out that had been a bad batch of chips. They sent me another new chip to solder on but this time things did not go as well. I solder on the new chip but now I go now arc at all. Seems the bad chip was not the only problem, called back and they wanted me to pick up the shipping to send the unit back to get fixed. Keep in mind that the machine is like 75 pounds. After a few calls they picked up shipping so I sent the machine back. The ETA was 2 weeks, and they come and go still no machine. So I call back and they had a back log due to the repair shop moving from CA to MN. Another 2 weeks go by and I call back to see whats up they owner was going to track down my machine and get it back to me ASAP. 2 days later I get a tracking number that shows the machine is on it way back. I unbox it and find I got a replacement machine, the only problem was the display was kinda messed up looks like it was melted at some point, but the machine did work so I left things along. So its not the most dependable machine, but you get what you pay for and I still fell I came out ahead at this point

Thanks for the Honest reply.
I do belive in the saying that "you get what you pay for".
A machine that cost $1800 could be considered a disposable unit due to shipping cost, parts , labor...when they fail.
sometimes it's hard to fiqure out the best choice.
Sorry to hear about all the shipping delays and repairs right off the get go on yours.
Local distributors with local repair centers can add piece of mind.
Do I buy a disposable (lower cost $1800/powertig 250EX) unit or buy a higher Quality (more expensive $2300/ Syncrowave 200/Dynasty 200DX $4000 ) unit that you are willing to repair later when it fails.
Miller and Lincoln has inventory, parts and accesories in town and local repair and warranty centers?
i'm going to have to think on this.
I am going to call and find out where the repairs and warranty repairs are made. inside US or outside the US.
Miller now has wireless remote foot pedal and wireless hand controls with with no wires to trip over with a 90 foot range.
decisions, decisions...

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #4  
I think UPS, and Fed-Ex are the biggest problems with these machines, well any machine. I paid well over $5,000.00 for my Lincoln V350-Pro, it didn't work quite right when I got it. I bought it on line because my local welding supply who I've dealt with for over 30-years could not meet the price. I called them to see if they had any ideas, they sent one of their people to my house to check it out. Still had to take it to the big city to the repair center. Loose wire inside from being shipped! :thumbdown:

I think UPS, and Fed-Ex are the biggest problems with these machines, well any machine. I paid well over $5,000.00 for my Lincoln V350-Pro, it didn't work quite right when I got it. I bought it on line because my local welding supply who I've dealt with for over 30-years could not meet the price. I called them to see if they had any ideas, they sent one of their people to my house to check it out. Still had to take it to the big city to the repair center. Loose wire inside from being shipped! :thumbdown:

My local distributor does not come close to on-line pricing either.
I would most likely purchase on-line and have it shipped.
But parts, accessories, and repairs are a nice thing to have a few miles away for me.
I'm a bit worried about an Inverter style due to the high cost of repair parts.
We have lots of them at work and the boards inside are very expensive.
We have had Miller for YEARS in the plant.
Recenly we purchased a few Lincoln units to test them out and see how all the welders like them.
We do alot of fabrication, pipe work and exotic metals in the plant.
Our welding engineer that runs the welding schools is still up in the air about the Lincoln models right now.
Portability is not one of my needs more than foot pedal heat control and aluminum capability.
I would really like to learn aluminum tig and have the ability to make small aluminum repairs and aluminum jigs.

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #6  

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 914
Oh well then you want a Miller Dynasty 350! I knew nothing about aluminum welding until I bought a Dynasty 300. Trust me this is all machine, with a Dynasty all you have to do is turn the machine on, and it will do the rest! ;)

Miller - Dynasty Series TIG Welders, GTAW Welding Equipment

We have those floating around the plant but with an Adjusted Net Income of $806 million that is a little easier to afford.
My Adjusted Net Income is slightly less than that.
Dynasty 200DX foot controlled (air cooled unit ) is $4900, water cooled is $6500.
Lets do the math here:duh:
Uh.....
Well lets not.
Non-inverter Miller Syncrowave 200 is almost $3000 (kit)
Makes the Everlast look attractive $1650
Wow I think I need a raise to adjust for inflation. Hobbies sure can be expensive.
Might have to take up cross stitching.

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #8  
No one ever said working / playing with metal was cheap! :laughing:

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #9  
I too have been researching the 250ex and also the 200dx. It seems like the 200dx has alot more better feedback then the 250ex, but I sure would like the extra 50 amps. It seems like these machines are pretty capable welders and use some quality parts in them, but I think in the assembly is where the quality control is lacking. So if you can deal with some problems and dealing with them to get a machine straightened out, I guess sooner or later you will get a dependable machine. With a 5 year warrenty they should be able to get it right sooner or later. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on one, maybe after the New Year.

/ Everlast powertig 250EX Welder / Anyone bought one / It's on my list #10  
It is true aluminum sucks up the amps like a kid eating candy. But you can always go old school and us DC and helium. I found I can just about cut my amps in half when using helium. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100 % Helium.jpg
    100 % Helium.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 752