Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

Default Do it yourself exhaust system

Looking for do it yourself ideas on exhausting welding fumes out of the shop without loosing all of my heat. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated! Thanks!

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Default Re: Do it yourself exhaust system

I never really thought about exhaust systems until retiring, because I worked outside all my life. I have two large exhaust fans in my shop, one over the CNC plasma table, and the other over the welding table.

But in your case, how about a shop vac with a hose that goes outside?
    Here are some ideas Lincoln has.
    Portable Weld Fume Control Units | Lincoln Electric

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    5 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    jd 1050 LS I3040H. CASE SC

You could run your exhaust through an air to air heat exchanger with the make-up air. This could recover 40-80 % of your heat, depending on sizing. The heat exchangers are not cheap and most likely not economical unless it is to operate every day. Something localized like a shop vac like Shield Arc mentioned may be the best option.
    LS I3040H w/ loader
    JD 1050 w/ loader and backhoe
    Case SC. 1952

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

The thing is with exhaust sytems, it's not about moving lots of air, it's just about moving 'enough' air. Also, you want to make sure that you're not sucking so hard that you're moving your welding gasses away from the material too quickly.

A shop vac would be good, but I would make it so that the hose is a fairly wide diameter at the workspace. That way, you can pull from a wider area.
    Heat exchanger isn't a terrible idea...but Not sure how effective it'll be with the smaller area. Loads to think about here.

What am I saying with all of this? I'm subscribing in the hopes that someone with more knowledge than I comes along. LOL

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Iseki TA 247. Husqvarna 54", Cub Zero Turn.Polaris 850 ATV's Stihl 018 026 Pro, 029, 034 Super AV, 039, 044 Mag. Stihl Pole Saw.

I knew a guy who used a shop vac and a garbage can lid. believe it or not, It worked pretty well..he fastened a strip of tinted welding curtain around it giving it about 8" of drop. Hung it a couple feet above his bench..
    I'm sure he still uses it.

Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

My shop is 20x40 with 11' ceiling.I thought maybe a squirrel cage with an intake duct up high, then duct into a weather proof vent to the outside. You couldn't vent into attic because of condensation. I think just pulling smoke from up high would make a huge difference.

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by Bday View Post
    Looking for do it yourself ideas on exhausting welding fumes out of the shop without loosing all of my heat. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Funny you posted this now as I just received a rigid 6.5 HP shop vac for Christmas...

I was thinking the day I assembled it that I would get a sheet metal hood fabricated (20x20)? With a neck down to the hose diameter.

I will purchase the accessory hose kit (comes with 2x 7' lengths and fittings) attach this to exhaust port of the vacuum and send it out the window.

Was thinking of attaching the hood to a spring loaded reading lamp/light.

Will post pics when I do it.
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Double post edited
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Shop vac certainly over $3K cheaper than the Lincoln shop vac with the special filters, likely just carbon filter but charging about 2900 bucks for it. For home use, I dont think you would need the EPA filter to exhaust welding fumes. I like the round garbage can lid trick for the vent hood. Light, about the right size and when attached to a spring loaded mechanism like the lamp stand it would be perfect.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Source capture is much more effective than general room air cleaning. Get it while it is concentrated at the weld site,and you will help protect your lungs, as well as keep your shop cleaner.The shop vac idea is good, ( but shop vacs are noisy), or make yourself a downdraft table, ducted outside. The more airflow the better, but balance it against heat/cooling loss. A source of makeup air is a good idea too, if your shop is reasonably tight.

The Lincoln unit uses several paper/cloth filters to capture different size particles, then a final HEPA filter before discharge back into the room. There is an option for charcoal filtering as well. With this system, there is no need to discharge outside, the harmful stuff is taken out by the filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast