a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #91  
I listen to a weld being made just about as much as I watch it being made. Sometimes you can't finish a weld by seeing it, you have to finish the weld by hearing what it is doing. Trust me, you build enough things you'll get into this situation. ;)

Yeah yeah. I was pretending I couldn't hear you. Get it?

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #93  
Thanks Mark,
I don't plan to go far, or use it regularly. Needed to get her to the dealer for some warranty work and couldn't afford their $195 "discounted" delivery fee, so I used what I have. Has 15" tires and 3500# axle, rated to hold up to 2950#. I do have filled tires, so I'm sure I was pushing the limit. Have to say though she towed and rode just fine (just 15 -20 miles away). The ramp/gate is super light and sagged a bit under weight so I figured I should stiffen it up anyway. All I have is a little TSC Farmhand 125 110V bimix mig outfit (hobby - still learning, it'll be good practice), the thickest I can burn is about 3/16" anyway. I'd like to get a real set up one day. Till now I've just done brackets, tabs and gussets and just finished a home made carry-all from old bed frames, so yea, the small steel came from the hardware store. I was thinking to just add a couple more verticle lenghts to each side, you think that's sufficient? Thanks for the link to BMG.

bolt 2 sections of 2x12 to the gate and be done with it less than $20.00 and buy a new trailer !:)

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #94  
I buy from BMG regularily. Their prices are fair, and their service is good. You can buy 20 feet of angle for about the same price as 4' at Lowe's or Tractor Supply. If you order $150 or more, they deliver for free.
If you only move the tractor once in a while, I think you are fine with using what you have and reinforcing the gate. Especially if you remove the loader.

/ a good place to get angle steel??
When I get my BX back from warranty repair, hopefully by Wed., I plan to weld 2 more angles on the gate/ramp under each tire track. Since the ramp is constructed of 1/8" x 1 1/2" angle and welder limitations I will use the same material. I need the practice. If still too flimsy I'll then stiffen the verticals with flat bar. I tightened my contact tip back up and cut back my nozzle to about flush with the end of the tip. Hopefully, it'll help.
On a related note... do the hinges holding the ramp on come apart? There's a zerk fitting on one end and just a flat cap on the other. Thanks again.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #96  
When I get my BX back from warranty repair, hopefully by Wed., I plan to weld 2 more angles on the gate/ramp under each tire track. Since the ramp is constructed of 1/8" x 1 1/2" angle and welder limitations I will use the same material. I need the practice. If still too flimsy I'll then stiffen the verticals with flat bar. I tightened my contact tip back up and cut back my nozzle to about flush with the end of the tip. Hopefully, it'll help.
On a related note... do the hinges holding the ramp on come apart? There's a zerk fitting on one end and just a flat cap on the other. Thanks again.

Believe it or not, back in the late 90's I managed a produce farm in N. Georgia. We had several Kubota products, including a rare offset cultivatiing Kubota. That made us special and we received regular visits from Kubota personnel to monitor its performance. Engineers from Japan came out, and even the V.P. of Sales for the US came out and spend some time (nice fellow, a Japanese/American potato farmer at one time). One day we got a call from Kubota asking if they could come out and test a "new" experimental product on our farm, and did we have enough land available to run it 24/7. With over 600 acres of vegetables, we said, sure bring it. They brought out this oversized lawn mower with a roto tiller behind it. I talked with them about the product and it was a proto BX. It was supposed to be "top" secret, and just had minimal markings. I asked what they would do with the unit after they finished testing. He said: Disassemble it, inspect it and cut it up for scrap". It was surprisingly strong for 20 hp, and though it was light, it was obviously built well. But that heavy wet N. GA clay would bog it down with that 4 ft tiller. They ran it for several weeks, and wore out several sets of tines...and we got some of our fields tilled up for free in the process. An oil leak from the engine seals (or hydraulic...can't remember which) retired it from service a little early if I remember correctly.

As I understand, during and after WWII when steel prices had gone up, large tractor manufacturer's sales dropped off significantly. They started making smaller versions of their large tractors, with attachments to attract small farmers, ranchers and homeowners and reinvigorate their bottom lines. These, some 5hp -12hp machines were strong capable workhorses. Some were made through the 60's and 70's, then sales dropped off as they never wore out, they never died - except from neglet. They were so well made they caused their own demise!
Can you imagine if products today were built to even half of those standards?

Hey Mark, do those hinges come apart??

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #99  
The hinge design may change from trailer to trailer, plant to plant. Post a pic. It's either going to be welded tight or will be able to be driven out. When I build a trailer, I always make sure the gate is removable.

Thanks Mark

Attachments

• P1060301.jpg
    P1060301.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 117
  • P1060302.jpg
    P1060302.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 104