Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: a good place to get angle steel??

Quote Originally Posted by kw22614 View Post
    Thanks Mark for your reply, especially to a 'newbie' like me, but I didn't understand anything you just explained.
    Do you mean to tack flat bar just around the perimeter of the entire gate and not add anymore vertical angles?
    Yes...or you can get creative. Whatever you add, don't solid seam weld it unless you like dealing with metal distortion. When I say "tack", I mean 1 inch welds, multiple, all the way around about every 6-8 inches.
    Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSDC

kw22614, do you get much wind resistance with your canopy top while going down the road? I know you don't have much clearance on the trailer but I wonder if you backed the tractor in you would have less chance of the canopy being lifted or bent backwards. Or maybe you could throw a couple of straps over the canopy and tie it to the front of the tractor. Or maybe I should mind my own business, ha!
    Stanley----Kubota B3030 HSDC

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 580B, Long 460, Allis-Chalmers 160

If you look at the pic, it seems that backing the tractor onto the trailer would put too much weight on the tongue - as it is, it's a marginal deal all around. Just by eye, I'd say the position of the tractor is as close to ideal as possible with just enough weight on the tongue to keep it from whipping but not breaking anything... Steve

Oh, and Mark - I believe the term you were looking for is "stitch welding", those would be pretty heavy "tacks"...

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Quote Originally Posted by srs View Post
    kw22614, do you get much wind resistance with your canopy top while going down the road? I know you don't have much clearance on the trailer but I wonder if you backed the tractor in you would have less chance of the canopy being lifted or bent backwards. Or maybe you could throw a couple of straps over the canopy and tie it to the front of the tractor. Or maybe I should mind my own business, ha!
    No resistance at all, had the canopy strapped down while traveling. Too heavy on the tongue backing in. I think, as long as I keep up the correct and even tire pressure the tractor'll ride fine as I've placed her, though next time, if not needed, I'll remove the FEL, but the FEL arms did aid in cinching and holding her in place. All suggestions are welcome!

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615 hst fel, bh

Do you have a Tractor Supply locally, they usually have an assortment of metal???

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Quote Originally Posted by Mark @ Everlast View Post
    Yes...or you can get creative. Whatever you add, don't solid seam weld it unless you like dealing with metal distortion. When I say "tack", I mean 1 inch welds, multiple, all the way around about every 6-8 inches.
    Thanks, but seems like overkill to me. In talking with a couple neighbors today with similar situations they have welded angle vertically, directly under where the tires travel the ramp, and they have held up and been fine for years. As my welder can't weld anything over 3/16" I think I'll weld 2 angles back-2-back under the 'tracks'. I will keep your suggestion of using mutiple short welds to ward against distortion in mind as I progress with my skill, or lack of it. KW

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Quote Originally Posted by SHORT KID View Post
    Do you have a Tractor Supply locally, they usually have an assortment of metal???
    I was just going to say this. My local TSC, Home Depot, and Lowes carry both angle and flat steel in lengths up to 6' and up to 1/4" thickness. That covers most of my small projects. If you need longer then you need to go to a supplier.

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Quote Originally Posted by kw22614 View Post
    I will keep your suggestion of using mutiple short welds to ward against distortion in mind as I progress with my skill, or lack of it. KW
    6 on 12 is a very common weld in the fabrication world. That is 6-inches of weld with a 6-inch gap between them. Or 12-inches center to center of the 6-inch weld. But you can substitute the 6-inch weld of 2-inches, 3-inches etc, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -6-12-jpg  

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    5 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Quote Originally Posted by SHORT KID View Post
    I do. I've gotten from them in the past and checking online they only have 1/8" angle - I'm trying to get 3/16".
    I was looking for a supplier who's maybe a little cheaper anyway.
    I never got time today to check out the 2 suppliers I found out about, maybe tomorrow. Thanks SHORT KID

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Quote Originally Posted by George2615 View Post
    I was just going to say this. My local TSC, Home Depot, and Lowes carry both angle and flat steel in lengths up to 6' and up to 1/4" thickness. That covers most of my small projects. If you need longer then you need to go to a supplier.
    Maybe I'll have to go and check them out in person. Thanks
    Just want 4 - 3/16" X 1 1/2" X 49 1/4" angle.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast