a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel??
6 on 12 is a very common weld in the fabrication world. That is 6-inches of weld with a 6-inch gap between them. Or 12-inches center to center of the 6-inch weld. But you can substitute the 6-inch weld of 2-inches, 3-inches etc, etc.

Thanks Shield Arc, going in my book!

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #22  
One piece of Metal from TSC or such company will cost MORE than a whole 20 ft section from the metal yard. Using the local hardware store as your metal source is like driving down the road with a stack full of money in your hand and holding it out the window and letting go...for no good reason.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #23  
One piece of Metal from TSC or such company will cost MORE than a whole 20 ft section from the metal yard. Using the local hardware store as your metal source is like driving down the road with a stack full of money in your hand and holding it out the window and letting go...for no good reason.

Yep, that's why I buy from the metal recycler, especially aluminum and stainless.

I'm hitting the metal yards tomorrow, one 20' length will do me.

Wish I still had those stacks full of money, I'd buy a real welding setup!

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #27  
Hope you find a good local steel supplier. I have one and it came in handy when I had to reinforce my trailer gate. I have a 7000 GVW trailer but it had a lightweight typical landscape trailer gate. It had lightweight box section members. I doubled them with 1/4" x 1.5" flat bars. You'll get more bang for your buck with flat bar since the vertical section is where the strength comes from. If you've already got angle, box or channel to stitch weld to, you don't need to use more angle to prevent buckling.

I say this because I was trying to minimize the weight addition. The gate still ended up so heavy, I added Gorilla Lift Assists. Best investment I ever made.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #28  

Oh poo! Sure, you're right, but if you're doing a one time or very rare task, the hardware store has a lot of benefits - close, fast, easy...just not cheap... But then if you are talking 1-2 pieces, you're talking $10-20. Not a big deal... If it is an ongoing need, then find a steel supplier.

Hard to handle 20' stick without a truck, too. And the cutting charges will add up fast. Easy to hacksaw down some 1/8" in the parking lot yourself, sure, but not so much fun on 3/8" 2x3 angle...

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #29  
I had the hardest time finding a scrap yard that would sell to the public, until I started searching for "salvage" instead of "scrap. Just a thought. If you need fresh, clean metal, you need a steel supplier. You'll pay more than salvage, but you'll still pay a lot less than TSC price. If you have trouble finding a place, call your local welding supply store or AirGas or something and ask.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #30  
Hard to handle 20' stick without a truck, too. And the cutting charges will add up fast. Easy to hacksaw down some 1/8" in the parking lot yourself, sure, but not so much fun on 3/8" 2x3 angle...

My steel supplier has a sign that says $1 per cut, but every time I buy more than one or two 20 foot pieces, he seems to "forget" about the cutting charge. He charges by the pound and the cost seems to end up about 25% of the hardware store cost.