a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel??
If you really need angle iron -- dont you have a old metal bed frame around? the sides tends to be 5-6 ft long

Just used my old bed frames to build a carryall/storage box. The thread's on here somewhere...

When beefing up a light trailer, don't forget about the wheel bearings. If the wheel bearings (as opposed to the axle) are not rated for the load you are carrying, they will overheat and freeze up at the most inconvenient times. Have seen that happen a lot.

Then you have to decide, do I unhitch the trailer and leave the load beside the road, call a wrecker, etc.

Good point, but the axle is rated for 3500# - 2950# carry weight. I'm getting close to it but not hitting or exceeding it. Hopefully I can assume, I hate using that word because we all know what that means, the bearings are matched. All I'm doing is stiffening up the gate/ramp as it bows slightly when I load/unload the BX. I'm not transporting the tractor regularly, or anything too heavy. Mainly for firewood and Wifey's yard sale circuit.

I may be wrong (but since I build trailers regularly...) That trailer is entirely too light...especially if the tail gate is.

I googled this for you...your local steel supplier? You really buy that steel at the hardware store?
BMG Home

That tractor with fuel, top and no water in the tires is close to 1800-2000 lbs, plus the weight of the trailer probably exceeds you gvwr of that trailer and axle...if not pushes it to the max. You definitely need to consider other options all the way around...it's just too light for long term service...I've been in the plant where those trailers are made and many other similar plants. Trust me, I wouldn't trust a light trailer like that loaded up any further that I could pick it up and throw it.

Hey Mark, I just called BMG for prices and you're right. Been throwing my money away for years.
1 - 20' length of angle is just a couple bucks more than what the hardware stores charges for a 4' length.
BUT get this, they want $15 for each cut after I asked them if they can cut it in half for me.
Called another metal yard and they're just a couple bucks more for the angle but only want $5 for the first cut and $1 for each after.
Guess we know where I'm gonna buy. Thanks for you patience and advice! KW

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #44  
but stitch welded it so it won't distort the existing angle. Is this right?
When doing this type of work, I like to use opposing welds. Make the same size, and length of weld opposite of each other. That way you'll have less chance of warping. ;)

Attachments

• Opposing welds.JPG
    Opposing welds.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 107
Thanks Shield Arc. Where do you get those diagrams?

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #47  
Called another metal yard and they're just a couple bucks more for the angle but only want $5 for the first cut and $1 for each after.

It may quickly be cost-effective for you to buy a battery-powered angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Buy the pieces in 20' lengths, then cut them down to 10' or 8' in the parking lot before loading them up. At $5 a cut, you could break even in no time, and have a nifty new tool to play with while you're at it.

An alternative might be a battery-powered circular saw with a Freud Diablo metal-cutting blade, or an abrasive wheel in it, but if you've already got an electric circular saw, I would go with the grinder instead, because I have far less need for a battery-powered saw than I would a battery-powered grinder.

If you really want to impress people, get a little portable Oxy-Acetylene cutting rig and fire up in the parking lot. The ladies will swoon.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #48  
If you don't have a pickup with a lumber rack, you can always tie the lengths up under your pickup or car.
The company I worked for didn't have lumber racks on our pickups. Can't tell you how many times I tied material up under the pickup to get back to the job site to keep the guys going.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #49  
OK, the cut charge is excessive, but if your trailer is 10 ft or more, you can carry the 20ft pieces. My local charges 1.00/cut...but I don't need it.
Carry a battery powered portaband or reciprocating saw with you. (or OA torch if you have one) Problem solved. If you don't have one, might be a good time to "save" money( of the cut fee) and tell your wife it is a justified buy.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #50  
radioman said:
If you really need angle iron -- dont you have a old metal bed frame around? the sides tends to be 5-6 ft long

bed frames are often high carbon steel. You will likly have problems with post weld cracking.