a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #51  
Yeah, might as well OA weld them with a coat hanger while you are at it. Bed frames are not for welding anything serious...or let's say, anything serious isn't welded out of bed frames.

/ a good place to get angle steel??
It's a learning experience. Even if my old 'bed frame' welds break, or the metal bends, it was a great education at a low cost.
Hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

I draw them.

What, do you teach welding? With my 'toy outfit' or my lack of skill, or both, I have no consistentcy in the size of my welds.
I usually always lay in way too much then go back and grind them down. Any advice?

Maybe later, if I weld more frequently, I can justify getting some type of cordless cutter.
Got forced into retirement a few years ago and have to scrimp & save on everything.
Sure I'm not the only one adversely affected by this lousy economy. Not whineing - just saying....

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #55  
What, do you teach welding? With my 'toy outfit' or my lack of skill, or both, I have no consistentcy in the size of my welds.
I usually always lay in way too much then go back and grind them down. Any advice?

I am far from an expert but it sounds like you aren't running enough amps or heat. Otherwise you would be burning through long before you had the ability to build up on the weld puddle. Use a smaller electrode and multiple passes. Make sure you have a good helmet and pay careful attention to the weld puddle while welding. Alternate your heat and travel speed and note the differences in the weld.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #56  
Maybe later, if I weld more frequently, I can justify getting some type of cordless cutter.

Could you just use a 4.5" HF grinder with a cut off blade and an inexpensive inverter?

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #57  
Yeah, might as well OA weld them with a coat hanger while you are at it. Bed frames are not for welding anything serious...or let's say, anything serious isn't welded out of bed frames.

LOL...I knew a gentleman that could do amazing things with a coat hanger and acetylene torch.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #59  
LOL...I knew a gentleman that could do amazing things with a coat hanger and acetylene torch.

Well, the stupid thing about it is, that for very little money, you can actually buy REAL welding rods designed for OA use. Nothing wrong with welding with OA...but coat hangers are of unknown alloy/quality. The real welding rods (filler) for OA, are RG series...like an RG60. Weld with confidence, I say. Any body figure out what that green stuff is on a coat hanger? Not good to weld with for sure(or breath).

I'm leaning to the hacksaw for now.