a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #61  
I'm leaning to the hacksaw for now.

Bring extra blades...they are cheap.

Chances are if you put on enough of a sad face, they will cut it for you and not charge you. Use a limp and keep clutching your chest (LOL). Nobody wants some old guy to drop over in front of their business keeping paying customers away.

/ a good place to get angle steel??
I am far from an expert but it sounds like you aren't running enough amps or heat. Otherwise you would be burning through long before you had the ability to build up on the weld puddle. Use a smaller electrode and multiple passes. Make sure you have a good helmet and pay careful attention to the weld puddle while welding. Alternate your heat and travel speed and note the differences in the weld.

Again, it's all I have. I traded a buddy a set of 7 gal fat bob tanks and speedo for his old 125 amp welder. I added bi-mix gas and use .023 solid wire. I have it on it's highest setting and the speed cut way back to 2 1/2 - 3, guess I could try it slower and see what happens. Sometimes I get a decent smooth bead, sometimes spatter. At least now I'm getting a decent bead sometimes, at 1st only aways spatter. I think I just need more helmet time (and good advice'd help too).

Bring extra blades...they are cheap.

Chances are if you put on enough of a sad face, they will cut it for you and not charge you. Use a limp and keep clutching your chest (LOL). Nobody wants some old guy to drop over in front of their business keeping paying customers away.

LOL - funny guy!

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #64  
What, do you teach welding? With my 'toy outfit' or my lack of skill, or both, I have no consistentcy in the size of my welds.
I usually always lay in way too much then go back and grind them down. Any advice?
No I'm just a hobbyist.
Really the size of welds comes in time, you just have to put in the time. Once you've welded for some time you should be a pretty good judge of how big to make a weld. Now really this only matters when you're working off blue prints where the engineer calls for certain size welds. But you really need a set of these so you know you're doing it correctly. When the time comes post some pictures of your welds there are several guys here who can help you with your welding.

Attachments

• Fillet-Weld-1.jpg
    Fillet-Weld-1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Weld gage 1.jpg
    Weld gage 1.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 130
   / a good place to get angle steel?? #65  
Speedo for a welder...you finished swimming?:D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Could you use a smaller diameter welding wire?

Speedo for a welder...you finished swimming?:D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Could you use a smaller diameter welding wire?

Looks great on the beach! :laughing:

Thanks again Shield Arc

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #68  
No I'm just a hobbyist.
When the time comes post some pictures of your welds there are several guys here who can help you with your welding.

Your a hobbyist and I am Santa Claus. :laughing:
Well maybe you are a hobbyist NOW but there was a time.................
This guy is one whale of a welding instructor!!

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #69  
Your a hobbyist and I am Santa Claus. :laughing:
Well maybe you are a hobbyist NOW but there was a time.................
This guy is one whale of a welding instructor!!

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #70  
Bring a couple of C-clamps to clamp it to your trailer when you cut it with the hacksaw. Make one cut near the center and the 2 pieces should lay diagonally in the trailer bed. Don't forget your tape measure and square to lay out the cut where you need it.