a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #1  

kw22614

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
Anybody know of a good place, near me in NOVA, to buy angle steel?
I need to stiffen up the ramp/gate of my trailer.
I've always gotten small pieces from my local hardware, but I need longer and more this time, besides I'm sure a supplier would be cheaper. Here's a not so good pic of the gate. Thanks

Attachments

• P1020299.jpg
    P1020299.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 530
   / a good place to get angle steel?? #2  
I may be wrong (but since I build trailers regularly...) That trailer is entirely too light...especially if the tail gate is.

I googled this for you...your local steel supplier? You really buy that steel at the hardware store?
BMG Home

That tractor with fuel, top and no water in the tires is close to 1800-2000 lbs, plus the weight of the trailer probably exceeds you gvwr of that trailer and axle...if not pushes it to the max. You definitely need to consider other options all the way around...it's just too light for long term service...I've been in the plant where those trailers are made and many other similar plants. Trust me, I wouldn't trust a light trailer like that loaded up any further that I could pick it up and throw it.

Last edited:
   / a good place to get angle steel?? #3  
I get mine from Arlington Iron Works off of Euclid Avenue.

/ a good place to get angle steel??
I may be wrong (but since I build trailers regularly...) That trailer is entirely too light...especially if the tail gate is.

I googled this for you...your local steel supplier? You really buy that steel at the hardware store?
BMG Home

That tractor with fuel, top and no water in the tires is close to 1800-2000 lbs, plus the weight of the trailer probably exceeds you gvwr of that trailer and axle...if not pushes it to the max. You definitely need to consider other options all the way around...it's just too light for long term service...I've been in the plant where those trailers are made and many other similar plants. Trust me, I wouldn't trust a light trailer like loaded up any further that I could pick it up and throw it.

Thanks Mark,
I don't plan to go far, or use it regularly. Needed to get her to the dealer for some warranty work and couldn't afford their $195 "discounted" delivery fee, so I used what I have. Has 15" tires and 3500# axle, rated to hold up to 2950#. I do have filled tires, so I'm sure I was pushing the limit. Have to say though she towed and rode just fine (just 15 -20 miles away). The ramp/gate is super light and sagged a bit under weight so I figured I should stiffen it up anyway. All I have is a little TSC Farmhand 125 110V bimix mig outfit (hobby - still learning, it'll be good practice), the thickest I can burn is about 3/16" anyway. I'd like to get a real set up one day. Till now I've just done brackets, tabs and gussets and just finished a home made carry-all from old bed frames, so yea, the small steel came from the hardware store. I was thinking to just add a couple more verticle lenghts to each side, you think that's sufficient? Thanks for the link to BMG.

I get mine from Arlington Iron Works off of Euclid Avenue.

Thanks L4400, I saw them and BMG in my local book. Guess I'll call & see who's cheapest - both are not to far.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #6  
I find it useful to look at my metal recyclers first if I need something, as most small volume metal retailers seem to charge a real premium. Sometimes I am lucky and find nice stuff, other times nothing.

I find it useful to look at my metal recyclers first if I need something, as most small volume metal retailers seem to charge a real premium. Sometimes I am lucky and find nice stuff, other times nothing.

Thanks, that's a good idea I hadn't thought of.

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #8  
Most metal recyclers these days won't let you cart even a car rim out no matter how much you pay. It has to do with company contracts, quotas etc.

I'd take a look fully framing it out with the angle because the support isn't only in the lengths down the side...though it i s the majority. Strengthening the outside will put more stress on the weaker components. What I'd do is actually use flat bar to reinforce the trailer gate. Easier to work with 2 by 3/8" is ideal. You get the vertical load support you are looking for, and you can tack it all the way around for minimal cost and effort.

Most metal recyclers these days won't let you cart even a car rim out no matter how much you pay. It has to do with company contracts, quotas etc.

I'd take a look fully framing it out with the angle because the support isn't only in the lengths down the side...though it i s the majority. Strengthening the outside will put more stress on the weaker components. What I'd do is actually use flat bar to reinforce the trailer gate. Easier to work with 2 by 3/8" is ideal. You get the vertical load support you are looking for, and you can tack it all the way around for minimal cost and effort.

Thanks Mark for your reply, especially to a 'newbie' like me, but I didn't understand anything you just explained.
Do you mean to tack flat bar just around the perimeter of the entire gate and not add anymore vertical angles?

Sorry, must be my 'oltimer's' kicking in!