Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #1  

210fan

Tractor
210 JD L&G 110 JD L&G
So I realize the stearing will be bad, But I got hills and loads to go up them and down them,And only a little 210 to do it with:confused2:
Got the tiller ,mower,blower,plow for snow ,trailer,weights and chains,also made a front plow to make my hills for potatos.:dance1: works good.
Sean some youtube vides on doing the rear end weld up. Is the rear end simmilar to that of an auto? Just weld up the spyder gears?
Sean a website in the past with all the blown up diagrams for the differnt systems of JD tractors can't find her now?

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #2  
The differential lock would stick occasionally on my 2305. When tilling or mowing my only choice in direction was straight ahead. Turning at the end of the row just didn't happen until I got the differential unstuck.

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi
Thanks Bigtiller will head the advice and look at other options like a differant tractor for pullin jobs. keep the L&G for lawn and garden.

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #4  
My Leyland 154 has a dif lock and when it in dif lock you can only go streight one rea tire must slip to turn and they have too much traction for that to hapen,

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #5  
Yeah, not a good idea...because the unit will eventually get sideways at some time, and the front end will start to slide down hill and the problem will get worse not better if the back end is welded, because it is going to push in the direction of the slide, even if you turn the wheels back up hill...IF you don't pop your axle first, then have a big free wheel down the nasty slope which ever way you end up going...

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #6  
Yeah, not a good idea...because the unit will eventually get sideways at some time, and the front end will start to slide down hill and the problem will get worse not better if the back end is welded, because it is going to push in the direction of the slide, even if you turn the wheels back up hill...IF you don't pop your axle first, then have a big free wheel down the nasty slope which ever way you end up going...

I think that you are overanalyzing this. Almost all ATV's have spooled rear axles, and they are mostly used off road, in off camber situations, and they don't suffer this fate. Sure that can happen, but it is pretty rare and unlikely. More likely, the day to day use will get very burdensome, fighting the locked rear while steering. You will also suffer yard damage. It will increase your traction, but at a price- driveability, the questionable strength of the rear end under such loads, damage to the ground, and extra wear and tear on the tires.

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #7  
Well, hodge, I've driven plenty of tractors with diff locks and been on plenty of hills, some of which no one else would attempt with a tractor. The weight,traction and gravity issues faced with a full sized tractor are the same as a lawn mower. If it's steep enough to warrant him to consider a diff lock, then I think this IS a priority concern. An atv has much different traction and suspension. Theres a big difference in an ATV and a lawn mower, because I have also operated lawn mowers with frozen differentials. You keep going in a straight line pretty much.

/ Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #8  
210fan, you could always add ag tires to your tractor, and/or chains. That would also increase your traction, without creating the steering issues.

Last edited:
   / Welding JD 210 L&G rear axel to get full time posi #9  
hodge said:
I think that you are overanalyzing this. Almost all ATV's have spooled rear axles, and they are mostly used off road, in off camber situations, and they don't suffer this fate. Sure that can happen, but it is pretty rare and unlikely. More likely, the day to day use will get very burdensome, fighting the locked rear while steering. You will also suffer yard damage. It will increase your traction, but at a price- driveability, the questionable strength of the rear end under such loads, damage to the ground, and extra wear and tear on the tires.

No overanalizing there ,a four wheeler is a different sort of beast than a tractor lots less weight to deal with , take it from somebody that's done it , if it happens once you may not live to round 2

Last edited: