Esab welders

/ Esab welders #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
This company has a relatively new inverter stick welder out in the 160 amp range. Does anyone know where these welders are made?

/ Esab welders #2  
I think most of their welders and plasmas cutters are built in Florence SC, but dont hold me to that.

/ Esab welders #3  
I'm guessing you mean the 161 that is available as a stick unit for a little over $500 or a stick / tig for a little over $700? there has been a lot of speculation about it being an import, but i haven't seen anything concrete. though, i would almost be willing to go out on a limb and say it's not american made. the trend still seems to be to brand everything you can with the made in america tag and an american flag if it is made or assembled here. i've never seen either of these on the ads for the 161, so i'm thinking that it isn't american made.

myself, i'm not obsessed with having things that are american made. i just want their quality to match the price tag.

/ Esab welders #4  
The New ESAB equipment is made in Various european and other countries. Poland for one. They only make wire in the USA now.

/ Esab welders #5  
I posted this info in another forum, but a subcontrator used all ESAB machines for TIG welding on a job that I managed and had rather bad luck with them in that about 50% of them had to go back for repair in a bit over a year of very light duty work. No idea what causes the failures but not a good track record. This was about 4 years ago when they were bought and I dont know the model numbers.

/ Esab welders #6  
The only ESAB machine that Ive ran was an older (maybe 15-20 yrs? old), 250A or so MIG. I dont remember the model number or anything like that, but it ran as nice or nicer than the Millermatics we had, due to their limited distribution here, Ive never seen or used another large one let alone the consumer sized units.

That said, the Caddy line looks pretty sweet. Id love to try one and see if it stacks up with my memories of the old one I ran. Not having a close dealer kinda puts a damper on any plans I may have though.

/ Esab welders #7  
The New, ESAB 280 is causing fits as well. Every company has a problem now and again.

/ Esab welders #8  
The unit is a chinese model welder. I've seen it up close. About like our PowerArc 140, but less features.